Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vms racing parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vms racing parts

Hey. Anyone have any reviews on vms parts? I'm looking to get their performance wires but I don't know much... Really anything about there parts.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wires are wires. If yours are old and croboded, replace 'em, stock replacements will be fine. Don't waste money.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roninsonic
Wires are wires. If yours are old and croboded, replace 'em, stock replacements will be fine. Don't waste money.
Sorry, but you are dead wrong. Better wires = less resistance = more spark = better fuel burn and so on.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squee
Sorry, but you are dead wrong. Better wires = less resistance = more spark = better fuel burn and so on.
Short of him running SPEAKER WIRE for spark plug wire, he's not going to notice. Unless you have an EXTREME setup, you're not going to gain power from switching to expensive plug wires. It's been proven again and again- you MIGHT pick up 1-2 RWHP, which is well within the run-to-run variance and which the butt dyno isn't going to notice. I've actually checked the resistance of brand new Vatozone wires VS MSD wires. Almost NO difference.

OP, if yours are shot, buy some new ones at your local advance. They function fine, and save the money you'd be spending on some fancy wires to put towards a mod that will actually gain you some RWHP.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Yep, when it comes to the short wires and high powered individual coils of the LS1 ignition system, there are no real gains to be had from removing good condition stock wires in favor of "performance" wires.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never did I say you'd gain HP, or blah blah. I just said he was wrong about the wires are just wires comment. Thats not true. And as far as the resistance, I'd have to find it on here, but there was a member that measured the resistance of a bunch of the popular wires, and there was a HUGE difference in some of them.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here were the results from the thread by the way.

"So here's my test. All wires were tested at least 3 times to be sure I have accurate numbers here. Remember, they were all 12.5 inches long. I tested next to a radio but did not pick up any static from any of these wires.

stock LS1 6 in. - 351 ohms

Granatelli 8mm Steel Solid Core Cable - 0.1 ohms
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor - 71.6 ohms
Accel 8.8 300+ Ferro-Spiral Race Wire - 166.1 ohms
Jacobs Electronics EnergyCore 8.5mm - 178.3 oms
Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Silicone - 301 ohms
Mallory Pro Sidewinder 8mm Silicone Suppression Wire - 313 ohms
Moroso Blue Maz Spiral Core 8mm - 661 ohms
Magnecor KV85 Competiton 2.5mm - 2053 ohms"
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plug wires are plug wires, and the numbers in that "test" are WAY off. My old 60k mile stockers were WAY less than that.

If you want to get technical, I can show you how too big a wire is actually DETRIMENTAL to performance.

Go ahead, post ONE example of dyno-proven gains of aftermarket wires over stock replacements for a bolt on car.

YOU WON'T FIND THEM BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by squee
Never did I say you'd gain HP, or blah blah.
That's right, you won't gain anything with performance wires on these cars in the vast majority of setups; not HP and not MPG. The only way you'll see gains is if you're replacing stock wires that are just plain worn out.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Teching In

It seems this poor guy is asking about vms wires and he is being debated and rudely treated!
be curteous with your advises and not turning it into a arguement. I have vms wires on my 95 lt1 and i will say this!!! After going thru several wires because of arch, stemmed from having pacesetter headers that are really hot. These wires stand to the test! WITHOUT SPARK YOU DONT HAVE HORSE POWER! now that is out of the way. Imagine being in downtown los angeles during rush hour with 100° weather from light to light, street to fwy. Commuting everyday to and from! i do this all the time and these wires hold true!!! so, if you value your ride and your a gear head like myself, then get what you pay for, get these wires and end your headaches. after all, if these wires are for drag and strip and proven tested, then thats all you need in a wire and more. These wires have kevlar and pure silicone. Btw kevlar saved my life in desert storm!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by pumasixtynine
It seems this poor guy is asking about vms wires and he is being debated and rudely treated!
be curteous with your advises and not turning it into a arguement. I have vms wires on my 95 lt1 and i will say this!!! After going thru several wires because of arch, stemmed from having pacesetter headers that are really hot. These wires stand to the test! WITHOUT SPARK YOU DONT HAVE HORSE POWER! now that is out of the way. Imagine being in downtown los angeles during rush hour with 100° weather from light to light, street to fwy. Commuting everyday to and from! i do this all the time and these wires hold true!!! so, if you value your ride and your a gear head like myself, then get what you pay for, get these wires and end your headaches. after all, if these wires are for drag and strip and proven tested, then thats all you need in a wire and more. These wires have kevlar and pure silicone. Btw kevlar saved my life in desert storm!!!
The sharing of knowledge is not rude, it's the best possibile way to discount rumors and false info.

You mentioned that your experience was with a '95 LT1. This is in no way comparable to the LS1 ignition/plug wire arrangement. LS1 wires are exponentially shorter, and don't come in contact with nearly as much heat as typical LT1 style routing. It's really a matter of apples and oranges.

Anyway, this thread is over a year old and long since done.

Quick Reply: Vms racing parts