Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

AI 275CC heads/Cam combo on my LS3

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AI 275CC heads/Cam combo on my LS3

I don't know why I didn't make a thread like this over here a while ago. I've got a 2010 Camaro SS M6, last year with bolt on's and tuning it did 425/418 hp/tq to the tires. Headers, exhaust, cold air intake. I was impressed with how it ran, LS3's are pretty good performers right out of the box.

Over the winter I talked to Phil at AI about a heads/cam setup using my original castings. After some discussions, we decided to go with their 275CC program on my heads (room to grow into a larger displacement bottom end some day) and a mild cam, 226/234 0.600/0.600 114 LSA 4 degrees of advance.

Phil was great to deal with, prompt with e-mails, even after receiving my heads and my money...I've had problems with other vendors in the past, and I'm always nervous sending out money, but Phil kept my mind at ease, updating me along the way, giving an anticipated schedule for when my heads would get on his machine and when the cam would be ground and shipped and inspected.

In the background, I also ordered a FAST 102 intake, which is ported, and a NW102mm drive by wire TB (the brand new one as they were having issues sucking closed on 700+ rwhp setups with the old design, and I don't want to run into that in a few years).

With the same headers/exhaust and cold air intake setup, I managed to squeak 499 RWHP and 462 RWTQ out of the car. I lost absolutely NO torque down low (as you can see in the dyno chart)...which makes the car so much fun to drive, and it just comes on so strong up top...it's really a fantastic street setup.

I know the smoothing is set to 0. I don't have a screen shot of it set to 4 or 5 but when it's set there, the peaks changed to 494/459. I tune the car myself. You'll see the picture says New England Dyno, I was tuning another car there and thought "why not strap mine down and finish it too".

I think a bigger cam would probably bring another 20 HP out of the car, maybe more...but I wanted something mild...my car idles at 775 RPM with stable fuel trims...can't really beat that.

[youtube]ydURXwdlcIQ[/youtube]

I guess if you're looking to make 500 to the tires with an LS3 and a stick...you can do it with just a cam...but if you want something more mellow like I did for what I consider a no compromises daily driver (140 miles a day with all the creature comforts a 2SS has, and a sunroof) AI is definitely an option worth looking into. I'm thrilled with the work they did.
Attached Thumbnails AI 275CC heads/Cam combo on my LS3-img_20120803_191042.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AI gets the job done, time and time again!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That curve looks great, your right it lost nothing. Props for gettin it done yourself. All that early torque probably makes the car feel a couple hundred pounds lighter and with great top end power as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Mike, can you give us a little more info on those heads? Price, flow rates, turnaround time? Who is AI and can you give contact info? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AJG383
Mike, can you give us a little more info on those heads? Price, flow rates, turnaround time? Who is AI and can you give contact info? Thanks.
http://www.advancedinduction.com/

Specific Heads: These are the basic head for LS3 the OP got a modified version of this head

Do a search on here about Advanced Induction (AI), you will hear nothing but positive things. You can't go wrong with their heads/cam setups, Phil and Ron are great to deal with...no BS, they will only sell you the parts you need to be successful.

Here is a link to one of the sets of heads I had from them:Back to Back Dyno
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

pharmd pretty much covered it, but as he mentioned on his link, I went with the 275cc heads on my setup. LS3 heads are actually 821's not 823's, seen here http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...cGM821Head.php

Turnaround time for Phil to get it all done for me was a few weeks...to be honest I don't remember exactly how long they had my heads but they were upfront and honest about it, and I specifically said it was no big deal if they had a racer who needed his heads done first, so long as I had mine back in time for when they cleaned the salt off the New England roads...and he certainly helped me meet that goal easily.

Out the door I think I paid $1690 for all the head/valve work including new valve seals, and the cam, but that didn't initially include pushrods, which ran me another $105. Pushrods were necessary because the heads are decked and the cam is ground on a different base circle than stock.

After that, I went with a C5-R timing chain from Katech, and a new cam sprocket for an LS7 ZO6 from GM. There were some other odd's and ends I had to buy still, like new OEM head gaskets, and I chose to also replace all the timing cover related gaskets, and convert to the LS2/7/9 timing chain dampener, re-used my stock unmodified oil pump...I did all the labor on the car myself...like I told Phil, if I knew what the heads needed to look like, I'd have ported them myself too...I am an engineer for a fairly high end line of CNC machinery...I just don't have a clue what the ports/chambers should look like in the first place.

I'll post some pics of the heads soon. Phil gave me his permission, I just don't remember where I saved them, and I can't go back and take any now as the car is assembled and driving.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Here are some pictures of the heads. I had a hard time getting my camera to focus, but the machine work is really nice, you'll notice they broke every edge (with the CNC, not with their hands) on the heads including around the cast in coolant jackets on the head deck. Little things like that speak for their attention to detail with the entire design/machining process.

Attached Thumbnails AI 275CC heads/Cam combo on my LS3-deck-chamber.jpg   AI 275CC heads/Cam combo on my LS3-intake-port.jpg   AI 275CC heads/Cam combo on my LS3-exhaust-port.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

very nice heads !
Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Mike, those heads are works of art.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Some people like to complain that as cast areas are left...you can see them in the pictures...they transition into the machining beautifully...and they work. I haven't seen another LS3 make these numbers without a lot more cam...and I've yet to see one setup with a lot more cam lose nothing over stock down low either. Phil told me to expect that, and I am fine with it.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 08-15-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Some people like to complain that as cast areas are left...you can see them in the pictures...they transition into the machining beautifully...and they work. I haven't seen another LS3 make these numbers without a lot more cam...and I've yet to see one setup with a lot more cam lose nothing over stock down low either. Phil told me to expect that, and I am fine with it.
For sure man. Alot of folks want that look of a fully CNC'd runner, and IMHO porters know that, so they CNC the whole port. Phils philosophy is only remove area's that improve port velocity. Those who remove more material than optimal, while they have a pretty port, they have effectively increased port volume, and decreased port velocity...which results in a bigger lazier port. That is why AI heads have such nice TQ curves and are so responsive to throttle tip in, because he has painstakingly focused on maximizing port velocity.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

When I said "I've yet to see one setup with more cam to beat my peak HP number lose nothing over stock down low either." I meant setup with enough additional cam to beat my peak HP numbers with stock or different heads.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running very similar heads (but actually the slightly smaller 267cc version) and have the same positive review of them but from the race car perspective. They make great power and have big potential for power.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah...a 416 or bigger bottom end is in this cars future, maybe a year or 2 away still though...but at that time, I know the heads are ready to rock, and should support a LOT of power.

Are your heads 821's or 823's? More curious than anything else.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't recall off the top of my head, sorry. I will have to look.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did a VERY similar build. We are running the same head with a 4* larger cam on a 113. I am getting it on my dyno with the last couple mods on Saturday. What exact CAI and complete exhaust system are you running? Did you have the heads milled at all and are you running the stock head gasket? We were up a little on hp but down a little on tq. We are running through cat's and stock mufflers right now with a 90mm TB on a 102. Hopeing to see 510/460rw but not sure we are going to get there.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pray
I just did a VERY similar build. We are running the same head with a 4* larger cam on a 113. I am getting it on my dyno with the last couple mods on Saturday. What exact CAI and complete exhaust system are you running? Did you have the heads milled at all and are you running the stock head gasket? We were up a little on hp but down a little on tq. We are running through cat's and stock mufflers right now with a 90mm TB on a 102. Hopeing to see 510/460rw but not sure we are going to get there.
Hey sorry, I didn't see your post until now.

I was running a Vararam, but I was unimpressed with it. The car has a Halltech cold air intake on it that I got from Katech, a NW 102 TB, and ported FAST102.

The complete exhaust is Kooks 1.875" primaries into full 3" pipe, with an X pipe and 3" dynomax bullet mufflers. Originally the Kooks cat extension pipes necked down to 2.5" and then came back up to 3, but the cats failed (the woven sheetmetal media inside started seperating and folding in on itself) after 15-20k miles, so I took them and the 2.5" pipe out, and it's just 3" right off the headers the whole way back.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...a 416 or bigger bottom end is in this cars future, maybe a year or 2 away still though...but at that time, I know the heads are ready to rock, and should support a LOT of power.

Just took a look and my heads are 823 castings.

Quick Reply: AI 275CC heads/Cam combo on my LS3