LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Noob needing help on Procharged 95 Z28 HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob needing help on Procharged 95 Z28 HELP!!

Hey guys im a new member and so far i love the site im glad i got to join. Im not new to the v8 f bodys but i am a noob at having one that is more than stock. I have a 95 Z28 the mods are as listed

P600b ProCharger 8psi pulley
38lb Injectors
Stock heads ported on the exhasut side
bbk long tube headers, 3"ex, Hi flow cat
bbk power plus 52?/58? mm Tb
Full Msd ignition with timing retard
86k original miles on car, 2,763 on freshened motor
Chrome Mohley rings
3:73 gears/ 6speed
Stage 4 XTD clutch
1.6 RR

My question is i am wanting to buy some better heads and i really dont know which ones i need or which cam i need for my setup. I plan on leaving the boost at 8psi due to the fact the bottom end is stock. I have looked into Afr and Trick flow. I dont expect to bolt on a set of $2k heads and my car be faster without first trying to figure out which CC chambers i need,valvegrind, valve size, cam etc etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know it is VERY VERY important for a tune. I have that covered soon as i figure out which route im taking. I want 450hp-525hp if possible stock bottom end. Anything else i need or missed or should know please feel free to enlighten me. I really could use some info before just buying parts and being stuck. Also will the car run better with a straight through exhaust or maybe a cutout?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any idea what kind of power you are putting down or know if it's running well as it is? Are you talking 450-525rwhp or crank HP?

I would port the stockers completely, throw in a reasonably sized blower cam and get the factory intake ported. If you haven't changed the fuel pump, might as well do that with a hot wire kit. Stock bottom end may not love that much boost but keep the revs low and the tune spot on.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 PM

It runs great as it is. I havent had it tuned yet due to i am wanting to change a few things. I just purchased the car from a friend. He built the motor and used it as a daily till his LS6 car was built then he got rid of this car cause he no longer needed it. I am wanting 450-525rwhp. I have read that it should be an easy feat with this setup i was just seeing if the heads where worth the money for the power on a stock bottom end. I have been researching on doing a 383 stroker and boosting it maybe 12psi but i dont think thats in my budget range. I have also thot about buying a block and building it on the side till i can figure out exactly what i want. Sorry if that dont make since im adhd and i get off on several things at once if im not careful lol
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Ive looked at AFR, Trickflow Genx, Dart and Edlebrock heads. If i got say the 1400 dollar Trickflow heads vs the 2200 dollar AFR i could then afford a forged bottom end. So that is another factor im looking into. I just need some advice or opinions on what yal think.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a solid baseline dyno tune and see what it makes...or just a pull or three is $75-125
Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I vote ported stockers, like LE1s which are $900 and flow about what the trickflows do, and put some forged pistons and rods. Without a tune you really are pushing your luck, detonation or going lean will kill those stock cast pistons and destroy your motor.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Port the stock heads...they should support the needed airflow. Call Le or AI
Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 PM

Anybody has any info on a cam i should look into getting? IMO nothing sounds as good as a pro charged car hitting a lick lol
Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Launching!

If you wanna keep using that 600b you dont want to go to big of heads and cam, it will put you right into a new procharger if you do. I would just have the stock heads ported a little bit and maybe the hot cam but that is about all I would do if I was you. I would put some forged pistons in it. First time it pings they are done. If I was you I would maybe do 10:1 cr and bump the boost up. Cant believe you arent at that 375 rwhp now. Go get it tuned you should get more out of it. Stock motor and 9 psi pullies is a pretty wild ride. Mine would spin the tires at 60 if you tromped on it. I personally think a 383 would be to be for the 600b to be honest. I have 187 tpis/afr head 224/230 cam and 9.3:1 and only get 3 psi out of a 600b with 15 psi pullies shifting at 6500. 62k rpms is max for the 600b so you know.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM

I talked to the guy who actually built my car last night not the guy who i purchased it from whom seems to have not known anything about the car. It has hypernumatic dished pistons, dual fuel pumps which i had no clue of. It has ported and polished heads and very small slightly over stock cam. It has a port matched intake as well. The car runs really dam good and like i have stated has not been tuned yet. I do understand the importance of a tune i was just waiting to do some research to see if i should go further with it before i tune it. I think im just going to hit the dyno and possably turn the boost up a fuzz since it has low compression pistons. I know hypernumatic are not as good as forged but being i have stock rods i really dk where i should set my boost at. no more than 10 im sure.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

DOOD....as previously stated, get a baseline tune....how do you know you need more HP if you don't even know what you got now? A tune is VERY important for blown car, sound like the guy who built it must not know **** either... At least take it to the strip.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do a tune BEFORE you go to the dyno or track!!!! I know u want to stand on it but how long will it live if it goes LEAN!!! BOOM DONE OVER AND. OUT!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Launching!

with those pistons you hear popcorn one time your piston lands will be broke. I ran into bad gas out of town twice and twice it broke the piston lands once even on cruise control doing 65 down the highway. So get it tuned before anything....and maybe put a boost retard in also just incase of out of town fuel..
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 PM

I have msd timing retard on it. I was just debating on whether or not if i want to go further with it before tuning it thats why i was getting some opinions on whether or not to leave it alone or tune it. After research and asking ppl and figuring up my finances i believe i am just going leave it be. The car runs really dam good i would hate to mess with something that isnt broken. If its running this good now, then with a tune i should have a nice daily street strip car IMO. Also the car has a stock rear end so if i where to put huge hp to the ground it would just be a matter of time. I appreciate the info. The guy that is tuning it is on vacation so it will be a few weeks but i will post numbers
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 PM

Can the cam in these cars be changed without the removeal of the engine?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ears06
Can the cam in these cars be changed without the removeal of the engine?
Yes it can.

Quick Reply: Noob needing help on Procharged 95 Z28 HELP!!