Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Cam install snag with pictures

Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Cam install snag with pictures

I have just about everything off for the cam install but ran into a few things in the process.

1. Is it normal for there to be this much oil under the valve covers? It is pooled up somewhat in the rear corner because the front end is off the ground

2. Is it normal for this amount of what looks like corrosion on a 6 month old water pump?

3. I see what looks like a chip on my head you can see here in the picture is this something to worry about? This is loacted just below a rocker bolt hole, and is a similar one on the other head just below another rocker bolt hole.

4. Also wondering if I should not have used thread sealer on my rocker bolts and ARP head bolts last time I had the heads off? Because now it seems some of thread sealer has hardened and after removing the rockers there is some thread sealer that has hardened into a sort of gasket in between the aluminum head material and the rocker washer you can see in the pic below. What are most using on rocker bolts and head bolts?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

im doing my heads as well, they look like that too, with some oil in them, that's normal. As for the chip on the rocker stand, that would not affect anything, its perfectly fine.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're good, that looks normal to me.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

OK glad to hear that. Was it a bad idea to use thread sealant on the rocker bolts and head bolts?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it normal for there to be this much oil under the valve covers?
You want oil lubricating the moving parts in your engine right?

What you can do is just drain all of the oil from the oil pan and then you won't even have to worry about oil under your valve covers

Search this Thread