Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR's=$2600=.550 lift springs,wtf!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR's=$2600=.550 lift springs,wtf!

Do they even make an ls1 cam with less than .550 lift?
For $2600 i would think they would at least provide springs capable of .600 lift
You CAN upgrade them(95% of us will)to duals for $85.
I know, if your already spending $2600 what's another $85.
I just do not understand, Tony.
The 205 cc head is supposed to be your street head,ok. .550's might be alright.
The 225cc head is your race head, 2.08 intake valve etc... and it's only good for .550 lift?
This thread is not meant to bash AFR in any way.
AFR has spent many months designing the ports on these heads why cant they spend 10 minutes on this site to see that almost no one runs such a "small cam".
The AFR 205's flow EXTREMELY well for a 205cc head!!
Can't wait till they flow the 225's.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If AFR LS1 heads are like AFR conventional smallblock Chevy heads, you'll probably want to skip their valvetrain hardware and just buy the prepped castings. In the case of regular SBC stuff, their lift number was nothing more than that...how much lift before the springs bind. We ran them on a hydraulic roller cam, just plain old GM HOT cam with nice conservative lobes, and they floated like a ***** at 5K rpms.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

WOW...springs only good up to .550 list, those are definatley gonna have to go. I am waiting for the day they come out and will soon be calling to put a deposit down on the 205's.

Tony- is there any way you guys would consider selling the assembled heads with some hardcore springs for some monster cams? I know i'd be in and probably muchos more
Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvincels1
Do they even make an ls1 cam with less than .550 lift?
For $2600 i would think they would at least provide springs capable of .600 lift
You CAN upgrade them(95% of us will)to duals for $85.
I know, if your already spending $2600 what's another $85.
I just do not understand, Tony.
The 205 cc head is supposed to be your street head,ok. .550's might be alright.
The 225cc head is your race head, 2.08 intake valve etc... and it's only good for .550 lift?
This thread is not meant to bash AFR in any way.
AFR has spent many months designing the ports on these heads why cant they spend 10 minutes on this site to see that almost no one runs such a "small cam".
The AFR 205's flow EXTREMELY well for a 205cc head!!
Can't wait till they flow the 225's.

OK Guys....

Relax.....take a deeeeep breath.

I take it our website states .550 lift as max with the standard spring package. I need to update that situation. We have changed some things regarding valve springs. We will now provide a standard spring that is recommended up till .581 lift and questionable when approaching .600 (cam intensity, rocker ratio, and other factors that effect stable valve control). Anything there and greater should have an upgraded spring built with premium wire and lots of "QC" for longer springlife as well as the added reliability. Sorry about the confusion created by our website....It's a lot of work getting a new product off the ground....things are bound to change and occasionally mis-information can make it to our website as well as our catalog for that matter. Obviously we try are best to keep both as accurate as possible. Feel free to speak to any of our sales techs, or myself for that matter, if any of you have questions concerning our products.

Thanks alot,
Tony M.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, TONY!!
That's more like it.
Again, i was really impressed w/the 205 cc flow numbers.
I can't wait to see what yall can do when you have some port volume to work with, should be a great head.
I'm still holding out for these heads.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, that makes more sense but there is not another option for a higher lift cam. the big cams are not just in the 590's anymore. Frequently these cams are seen 610-620 lift as i know mine will be. Should people going this route be left with buying an OUTSTANDING head then having to go elsewhere for valvetrain?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

With the ls1's it seems anything under .600 lift and 23X/23X duration is now considered a medium sized cam. It's because these heads are awesome when it comes to flow #'s and the people that are willing to push these heads to the limit are finding more and more power the bigger they go.
I WISH I HAD A DRAG CAR!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:44 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Springs...and Solid "bumpsticks"

Sorry guys...

I might not have made myself clear....Our upgrade springs will be good up to .650 lift and recommended at just about anything close to .600 and over. To be very honest with you, if you plan on much more than .600, you should really consider biting the bullet and installing a solid roller. No worries about lifter's pumping up, valve float and other un-disirable traits hydraulic rollers exhibit when pushed beyond their intended means. Lets be real, hydraulic rollers were meant for factory vehicles with no maintenance intended for the end user. Solid roller cams are where its at for increased performance and higher reliability when you really start cranking up the camlift and turning the engine 7000 RPM's or higher. And don't start whining about solid rollers taking out a lobe on the street....there are new solid roller lifters offered today with pressurized oil to the axle bearings that just about eliminate that worry completely. The ONLY downside to a solid roller is the occasional valve adjustment required, but once again, todays quality of parts require much less maintenance then yesteryear.

Today, newer technology in springs, camshaft design, and lightweight valve gear, allow levels of performance achievable with hydraulic roller grinds that would have been considered impossible not too many years ago, but lets be real folks....there is a limit to how far you can push the envelope, and if ultimately making big power is really your main objective, you might reconsider the hydraulic valve gear you were thinking about running.

Wow....Did I get off topic.

Oh well....good information none the less

Regards,
Tony
Old 04-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Sorry guys...
Wow....Did I get off topic.

Oh well....good information none the less

Regards,
Tony
Yes, Yes. Good info indeed, thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 12:51 PM
STF Veteran

Way to be responsive Tony. Not too many sponsers do that.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

good info tony, thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Sorry guys...
Lets be real, hydraulic rollers were meant for factory vehicles with no maintenance intended for the end user. Solid roller cams are where its at for increased performance and higher reliability when you really start cranking up the cam lift and turning the engine 7000 RPM's or higher.

Regards,
Tony

Crap!

I better stop my Ford racers from revving their engines over 8000 rpm with stock hydraulic rollers!
Just havin' some fun with ya Tony...

Now where's my order!!!

Ed