General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Question about installing motor & Trans - LS1 into Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about installing motor & Trans - LS1 into Firebird

So I am throwing a LS1 into my 99' Firebird.
Now I have to get the trans rebuilt which is costly so it it possible to just drop the motor in until the transmission is done and then install the trans?
The reason I want to put the motor in now is because I am in a time crunch so the car needs to be moved over to my house etc...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the trans out of my '01 and swapped another in so yes , it can be done, the top bolt on the bell housing is not too fun , however.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Yeah I figured it could be done just I know the easiest way is putting the whole assembly in at one time but I can't until I get the money to rebuild the trans.
Anybody else have experience with this?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

If i understand correctly you wanna install the engine before the trans. yea that's no problem you can get the trans in and out with the motor in with simple hand tools and a tall set of jack-stands. I would recommend you own a swivel head 15mm socket for the bell housing bolts and a flex headed gear wrench so you can stick the shifter asy up in its home in the console and then bolt it down as the trans goes in from the bottom before you do the torque arm. saves you any time in the car other than to screw on the shift ****.

I know people do pull the motor out the top but of 98-02 F bodys I have ALWAYS dropped the engine/trans out the bottom with the front x-member & struts. and if you wanted pop the whole assembly back in with out the trans you should be fine but if yu are going to transport the car W/O the trans you probably want to support the engine somehow, form rocking front to back. The LS1 will balance on the motor mounts but you probably don't want it rocking back and fourth in tow.

Quick Reply: Question about installing motor & Trans - LS1 into Firebird