Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Which fuel pump from Napa to get.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which fuel pump from Napa to get.

Hey all, I'm getting a new fuel pump. On the Napa website, for OEM fit, they offer Delphi, Bosch and Airtex. All have different prices. Any opinions on these brands ?.....................For clarification, the fuel pump assembly is out of the tank. I and the mechanic that lowered the tank, found a pinhole in one of the flexible fuel lines. Its a definate leak. Gonna do the trap door cut out while the tank is out now, for future changeout if needed, so I have some time to decide on which fuel pump. For what its worth, the car is a 94 TA with 373's and a 2800 stall, totally OEM motor, so I dont need any fancier fuel pump. This was a prior issue concerning hard and long starts and not holding prime. Fuel pressure regulator was changed so is new.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Parts stores are all over priced for fuel pumps.

Ebay or a sponsor here can get you done for around $100 as opposed to $300 for a decent pump form napa.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2X RaceTronix purchased from one of the vendors who sponsor these forums.
Use this in tank hose.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Racetronix
Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic

Ebay or a sponsor here can get you done for around $100 as opposed to $300 for a decent pump form napa.
Stay away from Ebay....unless it's an OEM Delphi unit. Other than that, hit up a sponsor here for an OEM piece. I have personally never used Racetronix, so can't comment there. But I CAN tell you from experience that the crap sold in the parts houses is....well....crap. I personally know of 3 of my friends that got bad parts new in the box, and 2 of them only had the pump last a week or so on the second new replacement. They ended-up going to the stealership parts dept., and have not had any problems since.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

EBay = Chinese Junk
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

+2 for Racetronix
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

Okay guys. How much should this Racetronix fuel pump cost ?...........and is this a direct drop in OEM fit ?.........I just got back from cutting the trap door myself, and the mechanic told me his parts sources quoted him around $ 350 to $400 for a fuel pump with entire assembly. He knows I wont accept that number, so he told me to try and find the pump myself. I'm in the South Florida area, is this part on the shelf, so to speak ?..................also, one of the flexible fuel lines appears to be the cause. Anyone else had this, a pinhole in one or more of the lines. ?..... It appears its a hole caused by friction or plastic " fatigue "........Other than that, this should be the last time to have to drop the gas tank.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Reckless
EBay = Chinese Junk
There are vendors who sell everything under the sun on ebay.

I should have probably specified that I was referring to a walbro or other good pump.

Racetronix lists the lt1 pump at $120.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

And if you know the vendor you are probably OK, but the Chinese copy everything, including Walbro and Bosch.....just be careful who you buy from
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about a LS3 crate engine? The 430hp one. The only mod I plan on doing is a fast intake manifold.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs down Huh????

Originally Posted by trevmust
What about a LS3 crate engine? The 430hp one. The only mod I plan on doing is a fast intake manifold.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Teching In

the 94 bird should NOT have the "new" jetpump design bucket right?

If it uses the "old, simple" 1 line out type pump, the only checking you need to be sure of is WHICH screen location you have, the Aeromotive 340 is by far a better choice of pump.

Racetronix sells good stuff albiet Walbro...but quality stuff.

I personally wouldn't bother with a "stock" replacement as (mentioned above) you have NO clue WHO made this no-name pump.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TAChief
the 94 bird should NOT have the "new" jetpump design bucket right?

If it uses the "old, simple" 1 line out type pump, the only checking you need to be sure of is WHICH screen location you have, the Aeromotive 340 is by far a better choice of pump.

Racetronix sells good stuff albiet Walbro...but quality stuff.

I personally wouldn't bother with a "stock" replacement as (mentioned above) you have NO clue WHO made this no-name pump.
The 93-95's should have the whole bottom assembly/bucket replaced, not just the pump, the Delphi HP10033 or Bosch 69243 would be the route to go. Since the OP is running a stock motor, he should stick with OE parts which are far better choice than any high performance pump, especially the one you mention above...crazy talk
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Teching In

please elaborate as to WHY "stock" parts would be a "far better choice" to the OP compared to the performance pumps listed above?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

please elaborate as to WHY "stock" parts would be a "far better choice" to the OP compared to the performance pumps listed above?

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

In general, 'high performance' pumps spin faster, use more amps, run hotter and thus the components fail sooner than a stock pump...therefore don't use a high performance pump unless you need it. Additionally, a 'stock' OEM aftermarket pump manufactured by the likes of Denso, Bosch, Delphi, Continental/VDO, TI Automotive/Walbro has been put through a massive amount of testing/validation until it is proven to last 7,000-10,000 hours (equates to about 7-10 years in the field) of long term durability per the vehicle manufacturers specifications. What kind of testing does an aftermarket high performance pump have to endure before it is deemed OK? I can tell you, not much. Don't get me wrong, Walbro makes quality pumps, they are an OE manufacturer and their high performance pumps are by far the best on the market for durability compared to all the other 'high performance' pumps brought to market by the non-OE brands with shiny packages and fancy colors.
Why do you think the high performance non OE manufactured pumps are a 'far better choice of pump' TAChief????
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Due to the fact that they perform! period. I know with 100% certainty that when I install an Aeromotive pump that 1. It was in FACT made by AEROMOTIVE and 2. It will perform to the specifications (and reputation) of said pump. (which far exceed the minumum required for said vehicle)

While Walbro is an OEM supplier, Aeromotive supplies a slightly different market, they BOTH have something else some of the OEM's don't.....reputation for extreme performance. They quite simply OUT-perform the basline equipment of the OE's.
You mention amps, rpms, heat. Lets evaluate these conditions on a pump.
Amps: IIRC a Walbro255 draws 12 amps and the Aeromotive..........back later
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down

I know with 100% certainty that when I install an Aeromotive pump that 1. It was in FACT made by AEROMOTIVE
How much would you like to wager on this one???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which fuel pump from Napa to get.