Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What size turbo to fit my needs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size turbo to fit my needs!

ok to start off the engine is a 408 at 10.5.1 compression running E85-E98 built by AES so it will easily handle 1000hp.
things that im looking for

1-I am wanting to know what size turbo will allow me a fast spool up time but not something so small where it will hold me back when I go to the track. I want to be able to cruise/do street pulls, take it to shows etc so Id like some decent spool up time

2-one thing I'm wanting to get into is eventually run into the true street/275 class when I'm ready and used to the car. In saying that can you run twins or does it have to be a single? I would prefer a single for $$$ reasons.

3-my biggest thing is reliability and thats why I've been looking at Garretts so in saying all this, these are my 3 things that are my main concern.

Would a 91mm be to big and spool extremely late? just trying to get an idea as to what direction and size I need to go because I want something I can grow into and will give me more when I turn it up but not to big where its a dog to drive around on the street.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a gt91 on my setup. Its a 408 as well. I just got it running and havent had fans on it. I should have it driving this weekend with the fans. With a small ar like a .96 like mine is spool should be early and come on strong yet still give you lots of power up top.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

thats something right around the area Id feel comfortable around probably not going any higher than a 91...this will be a weekend warrior and not a trailer queen so the spool is important to me. Now on a turbo like the gt91 you have what size down pipe do you recommend?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A single 91 will make a lot of power but it won't be nearly as responsive on the street as a set of twins.

(true for mostly any single vs twins of comparable output)

For comparable power but much faster response you could run a set of precision 6665's from their entry level series. Retail $850 each. So, it would end up around $300 more to run twins. (2 smaller vs 1 large wastegate is similar cost).
Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INTMD8
A single 91 will make a lot of power but it won't be nearly as responsive on the street as a set of twins.

(true for mostly any single vs twins of comparable output)

For comparable power but much faster response you could run a set of precision 6665's from their entry level series. Retail $850 each. So, it would end up around $300 more to run twins. (2 smaller vs 1 large wastegate is similar cost).
This is true, but it get more compliated with oil lines, and merging the charge pipe into the intercooler. A big single is way more simple.

The downpipe on mine is a 4" setup. Look in my build thread in my sig. Lots og good info in there.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

Way more simple? I disagree with that. If you can build a turbo system you can add one more oil feed and drain line. And if you can merge your exhaust pipes into a single turbo you can merge your charge pipes into an intercooler.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Way more simple? I disagree with that. If you can build a turbo system you can add one more oil feed and drain line. And if you can merge your exhaust pipes into a single turbo you can merge your charge pipes into an intercooler.
I will agree to disagree. A big single is simplier in my opinion. What about runing dual downpipes on a car with ac? Where can you place them? A big single can be configured to spool quickly and have virtually the same response as twins. Its personal preference.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I will agree to disagree. A big single is simplier in my opinion. What about runing dual downpipes on a car with ac? Where can you place them? A big single can be configured to spool quickly and have virtually the same response as twins. Its personal preference.
Dual 3inch downpipes vs a single 4 or 5 inch is easier IMO. So is packaging 2 smaller twins vs one monster single. BMR turbo K-member with all accessories.

On a 408 a single GT91 will probably reach peak boost at around 5200rpm. Twin 6665's would reach peak boost at least 700rpm earlier and have much quicker response anywhere up to that point.

It is personal preference, and I'm simply sharing mine.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Dual 3inch downpipes vs a single 4 or 5 inch is easier IMO. So is packaging 2 smaller twins vs one monster single. BMR turbo K-member with all accessories.

On a 408 a single GT91 will probably reach peak boost at around 5200rpm. Twin 6665's would reach peak boost at least 700rpm earlier and have much quicker response anywhere up to that point.

It is personal preference, and I'm simply sharing mine.
I agree its personal preference To each their own.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Teching In

I recommend twins

Quick Reply: What size turbo to fit my needs!