PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to 5.3, which values to bring over?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 to 5.3, which values to bring over?

Ok, so I'm beginning to tune my 5.3/t56. The tune im working with is the 02 ls1/t56 stock tune. I have the injector values in and have purchashed the additional credits for the 2 bar map. I have also set the cylinder volume and engine size. I went to hptuners site and attempted to save a 5.3 stock file, without knowing that you would have to purchase it with additional credits! So, it looks like I will be copying the values over to my tune.

This leads me to my question: Being new to this, I do now know which tables and values to bring over from the 5.3 stock file.

Any input? I just want to build a good base for initial start and tuning.
As its a manual, is it safe to say that I can ignore any of the parameters marked for park/neutral?

Also, anyone have a copy of a stock 5.3 (LM7) tune that they would be willing to email me?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Ok, so I'm beginning to tune my 5.3/t56. The tune im working with is the 02 ls1/t56 stock tune. I have the injector values in and have purchashed the additional credits for the 2 bar map. I have also set the cylinder volume and engine size. I went to hptuners site and attempted to save a 5.3 stock file, without knowing that you would have to purchase it with additional credits! So, it looks like I will be copying the values over to my tune.

This leads me to my question: Being new to this, I do now know which tables and values to bring over from the 5.3 stock file.

Any input? I just want to build a good base for initial start and tuning.
VE,Base Idle Airflow,Timing,MAF (assuming that you're using a truck maf). Personally, I'd opt for running it in SD mode, and tune the MAF curve after VE is dialed in. Make sure that you have as much of the relevant injector data entered as possible.

As its a manual, is it safe to say that I can ignore any of the parameters marked for park/neutral?
Correct.

Also, anyone have a copy of a stock 5.3 (LM7) tune that they would be willing to email me?

Thanks!
The files can easily be obtained in the HPT forums tune repository.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Dwell angle for coil packs....

T,
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice salemetro. I have moved those tables over.

TomM, Please explain the coil pack dwell angle. Ive never heard of this. What does it do and where can I find it in hptuners? Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

My 5.3 (with LS1 cam) ran fine on a 2001 LS1 M6 tune, but it was very rich at WOT (10.5:1). I ran it for a year without issue (aside from a sooty bumper) before installing a wideband. A little tweaking to the VE and all was well. Soot went away and MPG went up by about 2 (all city driving, lots of short trips).

Dwell can be found on the spark page. I have yet to mess with it, so I don't have any advice.

I've included 2 files. One is a stock 2002 Avalanche 5.3 from the HPT repository, the other is the stock tune pulled from my car when I got HPT. Its a bastard file with bits of both tunes plugged in.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
LM7 Z31 Stock 5-26-12.hpt (456.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: hpt
2002 Avalanche 53 stock.hpt (468.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the advice salemetro. I have moved those tables over.

TomM, Please explain the coil pack dwell angle. Ive never heard of this. What does it do and where can I find it in hptuners? Thanks

In HP Tuners....engine tab>spark control>spark dwell>base dwell time and base dwell mult. Adjusts coil voltage respective to RPM for spark control. Typically changed when you run D585 coils on LS1 etc.......assuming you are running the truck coils, paste the correct year and values to your tune.

You don't have to register the 5.3 file, just say no and then save it. Open your original file, then the 5.3 as a compare file, then copy and paste the vlaues over.

T,

Last edited by TomM; 08-23-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Noobz, thanks for the tunes and input. My 5.3 wouldnt run for **** on the stock ls1 file. But its cammed and I have made a few other changes. Hopefully I can move some of these tables over and get it running well enough to start scanning.

Tom, good input. I am running the truck coils and will make those changes.

Quick Reply: LS1 to 5.3, which values to bring over?