LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

interesting spark issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting spark issue

The lt1 in my 93 camaro will only start up after a spark plug wire is removed and a screwdriver is placed in it and placed on the block or frame of the car. Even when the motor is cold. It will run on 7 and the spark is blue. I can put the plug wire back on, it will run fine on 8, and no codes appear. The car will run for several miles, then shut off and will not restart without the same "fix". Also the battery suffered a dead short right after it died the second time. Even when the motor is hot, there will be a consistent spark coming out of the coil and a consistent spark when the "fix" is in place.

I checked the coil wire to the opti, have plenty of spark coming out of it while cranking, and the fuel pressure is fine. I also checked all of the relays for the fuel system and they check out fine (the prime voltage, etc) and visually inspected the ground wire between the battery and the block.

I am going to check the opti harness this weekend for the proper voltage in each wire, is there anything else to check before putting a new opti in? The opti has around 40k miles on it, I hate condemning it due to a random electrical issue in the car.

The car has 100k miles on it, the icm is original, and the coil is a new msd unit with msd superconductor spark plug wires that have about 20k miles on them.

I have searched this and other forums for this problem, haven't seen it, please do not get pissed off if I missed another thread with this same problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Any short Usually Fries the ICM & other ignition components, My buddy fried some **** on his 94 GT T/A that way!!! I would go to shbox.com & start testing stuff!! Thatll get you on the right track
Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had to disconnect my MSD 6AL. It was randomly shutting down and would not start for hours. Then it would fire right up like nothing was wrong. Went back to stock saw no improvement anyway!!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
I just had to disconnect my MSD 6AL. It was randomly shutting down and would not start for hours. Then it would fire right up like nothing was wrong. Went back to stock saw no improvement anyway!!
Yeah thatll do it too , but he didnt list anything like that LoL The 6AL wont gain anything Its really only needed for Nitrous or a Boosted car to control timing & such It can actually hurt the Opti, Atleast thats what my buddy thats A GM Master Tech told me LoL

Quick Reply: interesting spark issue