LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Under the knife on Monday for the gxp

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Under the knife on Monday for the gxp

Since I extended my gm warranty it's time to get the pistons and rings changed since gm already swapped out the oil pan gasket already and that didn't fix the issue with the oil consumption. The odd part is that I may have to pay to have the engine torn down and put back together if the "gm warranty adviser" doesn't see a problem. Which is a total of about 12hrs labor at $125 an hr. you

My question is they did what the tsb said to do. With first making sure oil is disappearing and then change the oil pan gasket with the new dod revised one. So where else would this oil be going? It's not leaking out. I know the easy way to fix it is to disable dod.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Update

They tore down the engine on monday and noticed the rings were causing the problem.

Tuesday the service writer from gm approved the repair and they ordered the parts.

Wednesday and Thursday they are putting the motor back together with new pistons and rings

Free rental car is a 2012 chevy impala with the 300hp v6 and 6 speed trans. The car is quick down low actually. I was shocked when I got on it. Doesn't compare to the v8's torque though.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

I got the car back late friday afternoon. Guess it takes a lot longer to put a car back together then pull it apart. Everything is running smoothly at the moment and haven't spotted any leaks as of yet. When they did the oil pan gasket fix they did an alignment on the car when it was done. They didn't do one this time which I though was odd.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Good deal! Not sure why no alignment, best guess is they didn't have to remove any components that alter alignment.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not an engine builder but it seems really strange that they just removed the old piston/rings and replaced with new ones without atleast honing the walls.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With new rings honing the walls should take place. It helps set the rings.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Per the bulletin, no honing required.

"Note: It is not necessary to hone or deglaze the cylinder walls. Honing may induce unnecessary cylinder wall and / or piston ring damage if it is done incorrectly and/or not cleaned thoroughly. Cylinder walls should cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner before installation of the new pistons and rings. Numerous engines replaced for oil consumption have been inspected. The cross hatch has been consistently good and is in specification. As a result, is should not be necessary to measure the cylinders if they pass the visual inspection."

Quick Reply: Under the knife on Monday for the gxp