Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wide band question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wide band question

looking at getting a fast wb can I hook that into my back O2s or should I have a 2 new bungs put in I have an SLP predator tuner that has a tune in for rear O2 turned off Im thinking that would be the easiest if it doesnt cause any problems.I am old school had alot of fast cars but new to this tuning stuff want to do it mysellf as much as possible but also do it right any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-18-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you want the 02 bung for the wideband after your headers, but before your cats. the rear 02 positons in your y-pipe(assuming your running a y-pipe) are too far back. put the wideband 02 on the drivers side after your front 02's about 6 inches or so.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

problem is still have the stock exhaust dont think I have the room for that do I
Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am also going to hook up a wideband,but i was under the impression that u want to put the o2 a few inches past where the left and right merge in the y pipe for the most accurate reading,but i could be wrong.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else looking to do this within the next week or so
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want the wideband in front of the cats...
Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Default Camaro Corvette GTO GM Truck performance tuner in Tampa

If you have headers, Just have a bung welded into them
Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of headers have the 02's right in the collectors. dont see a reason why you should not go there. testing it right after it comes out of the motor basically at the collector seems to make more sense than letting it go all the way down at the y pipe merge.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

not trying to be rude but like I said earlier I have the stock exhaust and am not sure if I have the room dont dyno shops just stick the sensor in the rear during a tune if that is true why not behind the cats in the Y pipe
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cats will alter the reading. It can be done in the tail pipe but it's not optimal. It's easy to have a bung put it ahead of the cats and there's plenty of room
Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like so many things - just because the "shops" do it, doesn't mean it is right... Like said above, cats will skew the AFR readings...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

ok last question preferrably a tuner but any response welcome Im looking at doing a full exhaust during the wiinter am I understanding this right that after the cats the O2s would give a leaner mixture reading that being said if the afr read 13.1 it may be more like 12.7to 1 agree that this is not optimal is this possible to do some tuning until the exhaust is complete again I realize this is not the best but I would stay on the safe side by watching my E.Ts and staying safe by understanding the cats properly they do increase oxygen am I correct by thinking this way
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000 TA owner
ok last question preferrably a tuner but any response welcome Im looking at doing a full exhaust during the wiinter am I understanding this right that after the cats the O2s would give a leaner mixture reading that being said if the afr read 13.1 it may be more like 12.7to 1 agree that this is not optimal is this possible to do some tuning until the exhaust is complete again I realize this is not the best but I would stay on the safe side by watching my E.Ts and staying safe by understanding the cats properly they do increase oxygen am I correct by thinking this way
IMO, an exhaust will not have all that big of an effect on the tune. Granted, you're going to see better scavenging from a good set of long-tubes/true duals with a crossover....but if you're just talking about going with a cat-back setup, I doubt that you'll see any issues with the tune whatsoever. Honestly, I'd guess that even with a killer exhaust, the tune would be affected MINIMALLY at most.

As has been stated a few times previously....just weld in a bung before the cat, and tune the car. Do NOT log WB data after the cats.
I'm sure others will chime in here...but that's my thinking.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

could a tuner please pm there phone # I uunderstand everthing everyone is saying but knowone is really answering my question and I am not good at this typing thing if I can talk to a engine builder or experienced tuner I could probably answer my questions in 5 minutes
Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000 TA owner
could a tuner please pm there phone # I uunderstand everthing everyone is saying but knowone is really answering my question and I am not good at this typing thing if I can talk to a engine builder or experienced tuner I could probably answer my questions in 5 minutes
You will be best informed after you read the instructions that come with a WB. Maybe if you keep asking someone will say you can do it your way, but you will still have done it wrong. You are tuning for a relative stoicheometry. The WB needs to be in the unmodified exhaust stream, in front of the cats.
Don't forget it should be angled down slightly so as not to hold condensation. Good luck with your mods.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vexzer
Maybe if you keep asking someone will say you can do it your way, but you will still have done it wrong.
Exactly. Not trying to sound harsh here, but this is a pretty straight-forward operation. Just weld the o2 bung "pre-cat"...anywhere from "9 o-clock to 3 o-clock" on a permanent installation (to avoid killing the o2 from condensation), and tune the car. It really is that simple, and should not be done any other way.