Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tfs 245 or PRC LS7 small bore heads on 416 cu

Hi guys

i need your advice/opinion on building 416 cu with one of these heads:

Trick flow 245cc heads & PRC LS7small bore heads

Till now i did not any good result out of TFS 245 but i have seen good result out of PRC LS7 small bore heads (602 rwhp)
here is my combo:

-LS3 416ci, (built for the boost)
-Garret GT-91 Turbo .
-LS9 cylinder head gaskets.

Let me know your opinion which one to go with .
thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

no one !!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We use the TFS heads nearly exclusively here at Tick Performance.

That being said PRC makes a good product as well.

I am most likely going to be using the 245 TFS heads on my 408 high compression nitrous motor.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick

I am most likely going to be using the 245 TFS heads on my 408 high compression nitrous motor.
So do you recommend them over PRC in term of performance hp in N/A motor ?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is this being built to do? For a race application, the TFS 245's will not hang with the PRC small-bore LS7's. For average power, a street driver, the TFS will make slightly better and be better on the low-end and mid-range. If you're looking at the bottom-end and mid-range though, we'd recommend you check out the PRC 247cc cathedral port heads and make that a fair fight/comparison with the TFS 245's

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
What is this being built to do? For a race application, the TFS 245's will not hang with the PRC small-bore LS7's. For average power, a street driver, the TFS will make slightly better and be better on the low-end and mid-range. If you're looking at the bottom-end and mid-range though, we'd recommend you check out the PRC 247cc cathedral port heads and make that a fair fight/comparison with the TFS 245's
its built for race.

LS3 416ci
-(Callies 4.0" compstar crankshaft , callies 6.125" rods, Wisco dish pistons)
-Intake manifold will be single plane with 4500 tb .

-Garret GT-91 Turbo
Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

There are plenty of guys using TFS in race only applications that are going plenty fast, to say one isn't good for a race only set-up is misleading.

Several noted drag radial racers in our area use them one being in RS275 that holds the E.T. record in that class with a set of 245 TEA TFS.

I am using the TFS 245's in my 408 13.5:1 nitrous motor build, as I think they are the best option out there for someone building a motor as such, and the main reason I'm not using a head like yours is because of a stupid valve angle rule.

Your heads are bad *** no doubt and they are on par with all the others out there, but to say one is better in a race only application and the other isn't is misleading.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lt1773
So do you recommend them over PRC in term of performance hp in N/A motor ?
They both offer nearly the same flow numbers at peak lift and differ only slightly in mid lift and low lift numbers with the TFS edging them out on intake only slightly in those areas.

The main advantage to the TFS I see is the exhaust port flow with the N2O exhaust port.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm saying there is no contest between the PRC small-bore LS7's and TFS 245's. The only down side is they are still LS7's, still have big runners, and still want RPM, which makes them more suited for a race-oriented (WOT) combo. At WOT with some RPM behind them, there simply is no competition between these two heads. Nothing misleading there! "Diet Coke" on this forum runs them on his stroker and has made great power, which can be street driven I believe.

If you want to compare a smaller runner cathedral head and how they perform at lower RPM, part throttle, street driving scenarios...compare the PRC cathedral heads to the TFS offerings. Check out their exhaust flow without a pipe, which is how the PRC's are flowed for advertising numbers. They are in the same playing field there too.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

I'm saying there is no contest between the PRC small-bore LS7's and TFS 245's. The only down side is they are still LS7's, still have big runners, and still want RPM, which makes them more suited for a race-oriented (WOT) combo. At WOT with some RPM behind them, there simply is no competition between these two heads. Nothing misleading there! "Diet Coke" on this forum runs them on his stroker and has made great power, which can be street driven I believe.

If you want to compare a smaller runner cathedral head and how they perform at lower RPM, part throttle, street driving scenarios...compare the PRC cathedral heads to the TFS offerings. Check out their exhaust flow without a pipe, which is how the PRC's are flowed for advertising numbers. They are in the same playing field there too.
I agree that a bigger port will want more RPM which is in most cases more suited to a race oriented set-up. Also that a rectangle port(LS7 in this case) vs. a cathedral port isn't apples to apples which you were pointing out and it seems some people think nowadays that you have to have a LS7 or LS3 port on a race set-up because cathedrals wont flow enough to make good power which isn't the case all the time especially for a head like the TFS 245's or 265's which can flow up to and over 400cfm with a good porter involved.

The with a pipe without a pipe has and always will be a opinion and each company seems to have their own view on how to advertise those numbers.

I think they should all be advertised with a pipe because your not going to run the heads without a header attached to them of course so that will give you the most real world idea of what the exhaust port can flow IMO. I'm fully aware of what they flow without a pipe also and without the N2O exhaust port they are nearly identical, but that N2O exhaust port option is hard to beat when applied and is only a 50 dollar option that adds nearly 25-30cfm to the flow of the exhaust port.

All that said I would put my set of modified 245's up against any aftermarket inline valve rectangle port out there of similar intake runner size. Now that being said they have some tricks and certain modifications done to them that the normal TEA heads don't have, but 370cfm and 297cfm ain't too shabby if you ask me

Didn't mean to step on your toes Matt or try to, just stating my opinion also which in my opinion your LS7 heads are very nice and I would run them on my car if there wasn't a valve angle rule in the class I run in or a no LS7 head rule(wussies if you ask me!)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

but when it comes to how much i have to pay to run them then:

PRC ls7 small bore=$2700+($190) Gm Ls7 rocker arms =$2890
TFS 245=$2600+ yell terra rocker arms ($450)= $3050 or 3100 which is more expensive that PRC
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get what you payfor....period. Me and a bud both have tfs heads on our cars and have great luck with them.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What about cost for induction?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big statement Matt, (TFS will not hang with the PRC) ??
It would probably carry a lot more weight if you demonstrated the Pro's and con's of each head and backed that up with flow figures, dyno sheets and track times.

I do like the look of your ls7 heads and your cathederal port heads however I chose to go with TEA/TFS 245s for my boosted 427 over the PRC because after many google sessions I could not find enough proven/demonstrated results for the PRC but I found plenty for the TFS.
The following users liked this post:
scsuperstang (07-17-2022)
Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lt1773
but when it comes to how much i have to pay to run them then:

PRC ls7 small bore=$2700+($190) Gm Ls7 rocker arms =$2890
TFS 245=$2600+ yell terra rocker arms ($450)= $3050 or 3100 which is more expensive that PRC
Harland Sharp has a shaft mount system for hydraulic rollers for the TFS heads that is 279.99 or 299.99 if I'm not mistaken.
Originally Posted by gouldy
I could not find enough proven/demonstrated results for the PRC but I found plenty for the TFS.
I don't like cutting most of people's posts out when I quote them, but this is what caught my attention the most.

The PRC heads flow like a SOB, there is no doubt about that. It's a LS7 port so it's going to flow great anyways. They improved upon it even more and made it that much better. Good product for sure and I've asked several times if we could get a set or two of PRC's aftermarket small bore stuff here at our shop to no avail really.

The TFS on the other hand not only do we have tons of first hand experience with them here at our shop, but so do others. The head has been around for a long time and it just plain works. Again 360cfm out of a cathedral port head that flows nearly 300cfm on the exhaust with the N2O exhaust port is bad ***. I don't think you will find any LS7 or LS3 head that has near the I/E % that the TFS heads do and in a power adder or all-out race set-up I/E% is key not just intake flow numbers.

PRC makes a bad *** head for sure and I can't wait to see someone bring a set to our shop or we buy a set for a customer and see what they do!

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 08-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just found this link for PRC LS7 small bore heads

429Cu
LS3 block (4.125' crank,k1 rods ,wisco pistons 4.070')
PRC LS7 small bore heads
Fast 102/102
4L80

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ic-intake.html

VS

TFS 245 (see the cubic inch Vs Rwhp )

this is first result i see PRC does over 600 Rwhp but to be honest i never seen any result out of TFS 245 more than 575 Rwhp N/A

Last edited by lt1773; 08-22-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

There are lots of TFS 245 examples on this forum that have 600 and a number of TFS 235 as well. If I was on my pc and not my iPhone I would put some links up for you mate.
I found a lot of TFS results on other forums as well but I struggled to find results for the PRC LS7s, maybe in time we will see duplicated results for these heads but until then there is always going to be skeptics and it is probably going to be up to the manufacturer to support their claims with more proof than just flow numbers.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick

how much compression are u going to have
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bBody22
how much compression are u going to have
Close to 14:1, in between 13.5:1 and 14:1.

I'll be putting a 300-450hp shot of nitrous on top of that so stay tuned for results.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

You guys with these expensive *** heads need to start posting vids of your car in action. Enough of dyno sheets..

Quick Reply: tfs 245 or PRC LS7 small bore heads on 416 cu