General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C experts........opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default A/C experts........opinions.

What do you think would happen to the performance of the A/C system if the condensor was exactly half the size as factory stock?

I would of course expect it to not be as cold on a real hot day, but I don't know for sure. Is that a guarantee that it'll blow warmer? Would it totally kill the A/C system?

My thought was to have a custom made condensor half the size.....put a pusher fan on the front of it. This will allow 50% more flow to go directly into the radiator without passing through the warm/hot condensor first.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

AC systems are highly calibrated for operating conditions, size of the components, etc. If you run a smaller condenser and the coolant doesn't come down in temperature to where the compressor needs it, (like on a very hot day) I'd think it could over stress or even destroy the compressor.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
AC systems are highly calibrated for operating conditions, size of the components, etc. If you run a smaller condenser and the coolant doesn't come down in temperature to where the compressor needs it, (like on a very hot day) I'd think it could over stress or even destroy the compressor.
Yea, I'm thinking it won't work, I just have no idea about a/c systems in that way. I'm also assuming the condensor as it is.....is not right at the ragged edge of being the perfect size and working ICE COLD on a 100+*F day in stop-and-go traffic like mine does............so I would also think it does not have to be exactly the size is it. There must be some reduction in size that can be done that will not affect it.

Just how much can be cut away, thats the question? Maybe a 10 inch hole in the middle where a badass pusher fan could fit into....?????? So you would lose that surface area, but gain airflow to the radiator.

Just thinking..........maybe one day I'll have a shop make me one just to see what happens. Imagine if a smaller one works that allows much better cooling to the radiator.....what a winner product that would be. Especially for us with iron blocks and boost........

Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If, ultimately the issue you have is a hot running engine (due to a lack of airflow across your radiator) - then I'd suggest a more conventional route first: Change your Dexcool for standard coolant (or simply water and a couple containers of those 'magic' additives - "Wetter Water", etc...), add a 160 degree thermostat, and finally re-program your PCM to turn your current fans on HI at as low a temperture as possible.

All these will cost less and not negatively impact your AC.

Just a thought...
Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea ^^^. A/C systems are highly engineered and calibrated. 100% guaranteed that the compressor won't be happy or the car won't cool at all if the amount of refrigerant cooling is cut back.

This stuff works like canned air. As the air expands, the can cools down. (More precisely, it absorbs a ton of heat from the surface of the can.) If you don't cool the refrigerant enough, the stuff going in to the compressor won't be as dense and you may not even compress the refrigerant enough to do any cooling at all.

If you want better engine cooling, I'd recommend upgrading the radiator. If you want to cut back on the A/C capacity to cool the car, I'd recommend getting a matched condenser and compressor set from a smaller car and putting all that in.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap upgrade for any LS1 cooling system is an LT1 radiator.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

I have the LT1 radiator already.....

I guess I'll just get it together, see how it runs as is. If its too hot I'll start messing around with different ideas. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be a cool runner....like my 427ci was.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea.....my a/c blows so damn cold as is....I'd hate to change that.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too would avoid messing with the condenser.

The purpose of the condensor is to "condense" the hot, high volume gas into a low volume liquid that the compressor can pump. If you were to reduce the condensor size, I would guess that you would drive up the system pressure to the point that the compressor would trip out.
As an experiment; put some guages on your AC system while it is running, and then pull the fan relay. I would think that the refrigerant pressure sensor will tell the PCM to disengage the compressor clutch.