Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need BOV info...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need BOV info...

I've got a D1SC on my 95 Z28 in my Sig. I usually see about 14ish pounds of boost. I currently have the black metal Procharger BOV that attaches via the 1 inch hose and vacuum line to circulate.

I have reason to believe the BOV is failing on me, and I have heard that the model I have is not the best. I don't really want to drop the big $ on the Procharger red race BOV that I will have to weld to install.

I want a good replacement that goes in place of what I have on the hose. I know Tial makes a 50mm BOV that is in my price range, but don't know which one best suits my application.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Well, no help, but I did find what I needed on my own.

For anyone in the future looking for this, Tial makes a 50mm BOV that is a weld in pipe style BOV. They have just as good as reviews as the large red race BOV from ATI, but cost about half as much.

For me the big next question was what spring I needed in the Tial 50mm BOV. I just found out and verified I needed the 2 psi spring (or the "green" spring as the are colored by spring pressure). The 2 and 3 psi springs are specifically for the supercharged cars. If you are running a turbo application, you would want the heavier "white" spring.

Hope this helps anyone looking at something like this in the future.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you don't have to run the supercharger spring. Just let your car idle, and when It gets to operating temps, check your vacuum at idle, and choose a spring accordingly. I'm running the -9 spring I believe.(Aka the black spring) The lower the spring, the more often the bov is going to be open, and the more noise its going to make. Just a heads up.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

From what I gathered from research (talking with a few sponsers, and the tech from Tial), the heavier spring would be better suited for turbo applications as you really want the BOV to be closed more for the turbo. Where as the 2 psi spring is best for supercharged applications.

As for the noise, that never really bothered me. In fact, I really enjoy the sound of a loud BOV, so it might even be preffered.

My car does not pull a lot of vacuum at idle (about 8 inHg). From what I understand, your spring should be more tailored to your vacuum. Is this incorrect? I guess specifically I am asking if I am correct with all the information I have gathered? Or would it be better to have the BOV closed more? What specifically does having the BOV closed vs open do?

Quick Reply: Need BOV info...