Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I cap off the breathers on my valve covers or is there another solution ???

Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I cap off the breathers on my valve covers or is there another solution ???

So last year I had a major engine lose. In turn I went with a 347in forged motor built with all the fun things. Big cam, Fast 102mm, PRC stage 2 heads, etc... Well needless to say, shortly after my rebuild I started having oil leaks in random places. Not knowing exactly where they were coming from and the fact I am selling the car I decided to pull off the aftermarket valve covers and the custom catch can setup I had on the car. With no EGR provisions on the car I now have a port on each valve cover. My concern here is that the big oil pressure (80psi+) will just blow out gaskets??? I could be way off but not sure. I was told that once I do my first oil change from the breakin oil the pressure will go down but I still have yet to see that. I could always buy another catch can and install it, but not sure it is needed. In any case what do I do with these 2 ports. Pass side is already blocked because I had a oil cap with a filter I also got rid of. I am back to a stock cap. do I just block the drivers side or am I setting myself up for failure and the crank case DEFINATELY needs to breathe? Thanks guys.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a breather on atleast one side to keep the crank case pressure down.....go on eBay and pick up a cheap catch can...you can get a decent one for under $40, run a line from one valve cover to it, then from the can back up to the back of the throttle body and be done with it....you should be fine with the oil pressure, it might drop down a few psi, but shouldn't drop much

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I cap off the breathers on my valve covers or is there another solution ???