Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetC5
I agree... that was sad! I think the zl1 is a hell of a package and makes a great road racer... but as far as 1/4 mile performance its just crap! Regular SS with headers and a tune will run door to door with them in most cases. Personally I think the new 1LE SS is the way to go, you get a SS with upgraded axles, suspension, better tires and better 3.91 gears. Now add a cam and boltons to that car like I did mine, and its gonna be that much better, without the ZL1 price tage or the 4100lbs.
I totally agree.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like the look of the ZL1 but if i had to get one that TVS1900 would be swapped for the TVS2300 before the first oil change...lol
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

regardless of what happened in this video or not, the ZL1 SHOULD have won. Im still waiting to race one sometime to see what there fully made of. But its tough to find one... let alone with a good driver.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Is GM trying? That's my question...I mean I know they have the Corvette and they would have to seriously screw the pooch to ruin but the Camaro? Just sell it off to China already... maybe they can bring some honor to the name. Hell just name their F150 ripoff Camaro and they would have already matched GMs efforts.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Is GM trying? That's my question...I mean I know they have the Corvette and they would have to seriously screw the pooch to ruin but the Camaro? Just sell it off to China already... maybe they can bring some honor to the name. Hell just name their F150 ripoff Camaro and they would have already matched GMs efforts.
Part of it is there feeding a bit too much into creature comforts and forgetting about the people who want to strictly go fast. Unfortunately... there sales come from people who want those creature comforts... not the ones who want new race cars.

Till this day.... GM could very easily save the camaro by making a 3500lb version with an N/A ls7 under the hood and 3.73 rear gear. Call it the Z28.... but they wont do that.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Just incase youre not. Tell me why did GM equip the car with LAUNCH CONTROL if it wasnt made to go in a straight line? Dont see much use for that on a road course.
Hang on, BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc all have launch control. Sure the car was made to go quickly in a straight line but tell me why it has magnetic ride control and an IRS if it was simply made to be a dragracer?

GM really got screwed. They figured what they gave the ZL1 would be enough to at least keep up with the GT500 and they were dead wrong. By about 100hp no less. However, it will still thrash one around a road course and is much nicer to drive every day.

I think if I just spent 65K$ on a brand new car to daily drive, I want it to do more than go fast in a straight line. Sure the portion of the population represented on LS1Tech only care about hp and 1/4 mile times, but I think your average Joe is going to test drive both and say "the ride and the handling on the GT500 sucks." After all 580hp is plenty for most people, what average Joe midlife crisis is going to feel the difference between a ZL1 and a GT500 when it comes to power?

Sorry GM doesn't build cars just to satisfy the tiny proportion of their consumers on LS1Tech. If they did, they would only be building street legal COPO Camaros and everyone on LS1Tech would be wondering why the public wasn't rushing to buy and daily drive cars with roll cages and skinnies.

//Rant

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 08-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Hang on, BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc all have launch control. Sure the car was made to go quickly in a straight line but tell me why it has magnetic ride control and an IRS if it was simply made to be a dragracer?

GM really got screwed. They figured what they gave the ZL1 would be enough to at least keep up with the GT500 and they were dead wrong. By about 100hp no less. However, it will still thrash one around a road course and is much nicer to drive every day.

I think if I just spent 65K$ on a brand new car to daily drive, I want it to do more than go fast in a straight line. Sure the portion of the population represented on LS1Tech only car about hp and 1/4 mile times, but I think your average Joe is going to test drive both and say "the ride and the handling on the GT500 sucks." After all 580hp is plenty for most people, what average Joe midlife crisis is going to feel the difference between a ZL1 and a GT500 when it comes to power?

Sorry GM doesn't build cars just to satisfy the tiny proportion of their consumers on LS1Tech. If they did, they would only be building street legal COPO Camaros and everyone on LS1Tech would be wondering why the public wasn't rushing to buy cars with roll cages and skinnies.

//Rant
I guarantee that your average consumer cares more about straight line performance than they do handling. You say they won't be able to tell the difference in power between the 2 cars, but you think they will push them hard enough to tell the difference in handling? Not a chance.

Also, it's not just the comparison between the ZL1 and the 2013 GT500 that has people up in arms, it's the fact that it can't seem to beat cars that shouldn't even be a race.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

While it is great on a road course... i think its fair to say... GMs budget hit this car... atleast for the HP perspective. This car should have come with the ZR1 powerplant. And i still would like to know how they attached another 400lbs to the already heavy fifth gen. Say 100lbs of extra goodies under the nose for blower/accessories... where the other 300?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen

I think if I just spent 65K$ on a brand new car to daily drive, I want it to do more than go fast in a straight line. Sure the portion of the population represented on LS1Tech only care about hp and 1/4 mile times, but I think your average Joe is going to test drive both and say "the ride and the handling on the GT500 sucks." After all 580hp is plenty for most people, what average Joe midlife crisis is going to feel the difference between a ZL1 and a GT500 when it comes to power?

Sorry GM doesn't build cars just to satisfy the tiny proportion of their consumers on LS1Tech. If they did, they would only be building street legal COPO Camaros and everyone on LS1Tech would be wondering why the public wasn't rushing to buy and daily drive cars with roll cages and skinnies.

//Rant
The GT500 is been showing it can put lap times just as good and better then the ZL1. SO it really don't win any where. And the Gt500 has all the same comforts. You don't have to get the Recaro seats. You can get the regular seats in it. Get nav, sync, fancy lights inside etc. Only thing ZL1 offers is an auto.
TECH Apprentice

Are we all forgetting that the ZL1 was made as a TRACK CAR to battle with the Boss 302... The Chevy answer to the GT500 is the Vette... Why bring a Scion to battle a Skyline when you should be in a Supra... follow my logic?
TECH Fanatic

Every friggin performance vehicle made today has launch control. Give me a break. You people bash the **** out of everything that doesnt trap 130 in the quarter mile. Who gives a damn if a 5.0 mustang beat it, its still a nice car!

Evan - i think lou is buying one so race that lol.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

true, the GT500 does pull faster lap times but every vid i have seen with a pro driver said that the brake fade in the GT500 is scarey if not down right horrific... 600+ ponies and no brakes into turn 3 is no fun...

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
The GT500 is been showing it can put lap times just as good and better then the ZL1. SO it really don't win any where. And the Gt500 has all the same comforts. You don't have to get the Recaro seats. You can get the regular seats in it. Get nav, sync, fancy lights inside etc. Only thing ZL1 offers is an auto.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stumprrp
Every friggin performance vehicle made today has launch control. Give me a break. You people bash the **** out of everything that doesnt trap 130 in the quarter mile. Who gives a damn if a 5.0 mustang beat it, its still a nice car!

Evan - i think lou is buying one so race that lol.
ooo man i hope so!! Im getting my own place in a month so modding is on hold for a bit.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Evan and 409 basically covered it.

If the measure of success is sales, Ford built the wrong pony car, not GM.

Unfortunately our priorities as generally young, adrenaline fueled horsepower junkies are not the same as those of the general population.

When i worked in sales for GM we sold plenty of Camaros...to 40-60 year old people. Surprisingly a lot of older women buy Camaros reminiscing about the days when the captain of the football team was diddling her sloppy ****** in the back of his 69 Camaro.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
true, the GT500 does pull faster lap times but every vid i have seen with a pro driver said that the brake fade in the GT500 is scarey if not down right horrific... 600+ ponies and no brakes into turn 3 is no fun...
get the trac pack. The brakes are the same size as the zr1. Anyone who complains about brake fade in that setup... just cant drive.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beans
Evan and 409 basically covered it.

If the measure of success is sales, Ford built the wrong pony car, not GM.

Unfortunately our priorities as generally young, adrenaline fueled horsepower junkies are not the same as those of the general population.

When i worked in sales for GM we sold plenty of Camaros...to 40-60 year old people. Surprisingly a lot of older women buy Camaros reminiscing about the days when the captain of the football team was diddling her sloppy ****** in the back of his 69 Camaro.
and to this day the camaro still far out sells the mustang. So gm will continue on there path of heavy creature comfort cars... because it makes sales.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beans
Thats some funny stuff.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM

If everyone who argues that the ZL1 was mainly built for the roadcourse (a point that I'm not arguing with, but this is the street race section) and it's straight line performance doesn't matter, then when someone says it sucks in a straight line just agree with them.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I guarantee that your average consumer cares more about straight line performance than they do handling. You say they won't be able to tell the difference in power between the 2 cars, but you think they will push them hard enough to tell the difference in handling? Not a chance.

Also, it's not just the comparison between the ZL1 and the 2013 GT500 that has people up in arms, it's the fact that it can't seem to beat cars that shouldn't even be a race.
Proven Fact...Average consumers care more about looks and safety ratings than power and handling.

Very few 20-somethings are running to the dealership and buying 2013 muscle cars.

Our demographic has too much student loan debt to worry about. If it weren't for that i would have bought a 5.0 2 years ago.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
Are we all forgetting that the ZL1 was made as a TRACK CAR to battle with the Boss 302... The Chevy answer to the GT500 is the Vette... Why bring a Scion to battle a Skyline when you should be in a Supra... follow my logic?

Camero5 logic in effect

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs ZL1