Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

F-Body 6-piston CTS-V brake conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Body 6-piston CTS-V brake conversion questions

Hello everyone. I'm planning the CTS-V front brake conversion on my '01, and I've read the sticky, and most of the posts regarding this upgrade. I've also read the GM Hi-Tech article on their STI killer, yet I still have a couple questions before I begin ordering parts.

My first question pertains to the later model V's 6 piston caliper. Are its external dimensions the same as the 4 piston? Basically I'm attempting to ascertain if there are any additional steps that must be taken to perform this swap, versus the 4 piston swap, and if the same custom brake line can be used with the 6 piston, as with the 4. Also, I have more-than-adequate wheel spoke to caliper clearance(nearly 1 1/2" with the stock calipers in my case) to perform the 4 piston conversion without wheel adapters. Wheel the 6 piston caliper clear as well?

The other question I have pertains to the rotors. Are there any tangible benefits in going to an aftermarket rotor, instead of using the C6 ZO6 rotor? I realize many of the aftermarket rotors are pricier than the stock, but if there is a real benefit in opting for an aftermarket unit, I will do so. Also, if an aftermarket rotor is in order, what are some good options? Thank you very much for your input.

Quick Reply: F-Body 6-piston CTS-V brake conversion questions