Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just my luck. Changed oil after an hour of running with new cam. Broken spring.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Just my luck. Changed oil after an hour of running with new cam. Broken spring.....

Just got it finished up last night with my 224r cam kit with .650 prc springs.. I let it run for about an hour last night and drove it around last night and never got even wot with. Changing oil today I found what looked to be the very tip of a valve spring on the magnet. So I pulled the valve covers and looked and looked and finally found on the #7 intake valve on the drivers side the very tip on the bottom of the spring where it seats is missing the tip of the spring. I called John at texas speed and he was very suprised with the situation like I was. One of the first things he offered before I said anything was he would replace the spring and he even had it shipped out today. This is just really weird to me how the tip of the spring could break off like that... I checked the springs numerous times before putting the covers back on to make sure everything was just right. I'm guessing I probably shouldn't drive the car anymore tell I replace the damn spring..... Now what will be the easiest way to find out if im on the base lobe of the cam after I change this spring so i can accuratly torque it down to 22ft lbs? I figured I could have somebody bump the starter over and watch to see when the spring is fully up and then change it and go ahead and just torque it down to 22ft lbs? What do you guys think?

Last edited by sweet99ss; 08-24-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Use the EO/IC method
if the exhaust is open, the Intake is Cosed
If the Intake is open, the Exhaust is closed

make sure your injectors are disconnected or the fuse is pulled
obviously your spark coils should already be disconnected as well

bump the motor over until the exhaust valve closes, then the intake valve opens...
once the intake valve is at fully open, you are most definitely on the base circle of the Exhaust lobe
Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mybe insted of considering yourself unlucky, you should look at the other side of the coin. You're lucky you noticed the piece of the spring. You're lucky you found the problem. You're lucky you didn't break anything else. Replace the spring and enjoy your new cam.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Use the EO/IC method
if the exhaust is open, the Intake is Cosed
If the Intake is open, the Exhaust is closed

make sure your injectors are disconnected or the fuse is pulled
obviously your spark coils should already be disconnected as well

bump the motor over until the exhaust valve closes, then the intake valve opens...
once the intake valve is at fully open, you are most definitely on the base circle of the Exhaust lobe
That's what I was thinking, but I also need to be on tdc to make sure the valve doesn't drop.. Will the eoic method put me on tdc?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
That's what I was thinking, but I also need to be on tdc to make sure the valve doesn't drop.. Will the eoic method put me on tdc?

no, but you can use compressed air to hold the valve closed...

you can find TDC pretty easy with a piston stop tool and a degree wheel
or you can look at your timing marks and count rotations till you get to that cylinder
Old 08-24-2012, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
no, but you can use compressed air to hold the valve closed...

you can find TDC pretty easy with a piston stop tool and a degree wheel
or you can look at your timing marks and count rotations till you get to that cylinder
I'll use compressed air. Just got the whole front end together it's not coming off lol. Where do you get the spark plug fittings to do the compressed air method"?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Nvm I will just put the piston to tdc and use the air to hold up the valve. Than after it's changed I will use the eoic method to get the cam on base lobe
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What installed height did you measure w/ the new seats and retainers before the springs went in?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not that uncommon to break the tip off of a spring. I hand prep all of my spring tips this helps to prevent this from occurring.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by crainholio
What installed height did you measure w/ the new seats and retainers before the springs went in?
I was wondering the same thing. How close it to coil bind? It shouldn't be with that cam but if something is goofy with the install height or the pushrod length you never know.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Engines
This is not that uncommon to break the tip off of a spring. I hand prep all of my spring tips this helps to prevent this from occurring.
I wonder if it would have been ok like that? I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I'm sure this has had to have happend to people before that didn't catch it like I did. I dumped the whole rest of my oil throught a gasoline filter because I was so paranoid. And I spent another hour inspecting the springs the best I could. I found nothing else in the oil and the rest of the springs look fine.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

As far as installed height I was told these springs don't need to be measured because they are so accurate batch to batch with installed height. I did check pushrod length on every last one though and the 7.4's are perfect. Nothing else has been changed, but the cam either. Stock heads/head gasket's. Not to mention this is a .580 lift cam with springs good to .650 lift.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 PM
8 Second Club

It's probably nothing major...
Did you chamfer the springs before install...
Most people only chamfer the inside for the seat, but I usually also round over the tip on the end of the springs as well..
Also if your seat is too small, and the spring hangs over the edge of your seat... That kind of thing will happen...
So double check the seat size when you go to swap the spring.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

There is no way to install the prc .650 springs wrong is there?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Restricted User

As far as installed height I was told these springs don't need to be measured because they are so accurate batch to batch with installed height. I did check pushrod length on every last one though and the 7.4's are perfect. Nothing else has been changed, but the cam either. Stock heads/head gasket's. Not to mention this is a .580 lift cam with springs good to .650 lift.
Who would say they are to "accurate batch to batch" to set the install height. There's more variables for the installed height than just the springs. Installing a spring that is more than what you need is why so many people get away with installing them without checking anything.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as installed height I was told these springs don't need to be measured because they are so accurate batch to batch with installed height.
Installed height is not set by the spring. It refers to the distance between the seat and the retainer, and it's a critical measurement when you've got new seats & retainers going in as is your case.

I'd measure the height of the one valve since you're pulling the spring anyway and it'll be apart. If you see a glitch it's best to fix now before a valve drops.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Restricted User

There is no way to install the prc .650 springs wrong is there?
Yeah, I've seen where the stock string seat was missed and the new seat was installed on top of it. That puts it pretty close to coil bind with a decent size cam. (not saying that's what you did, just that I've seen it)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by crainholio
Installed height is not set by the spring. It refers to the distance between the seat and the retainer, and it's a critical measurement when you've got new seats & retainers going in as is your case.

I'd measure the height of the one valve since you're pulling the spring anyway and it'll be apart. If you see a glitch it's best to fix now before a valve drops.
Somewhere around 1.800" is probably close on those springs with the cam you have. I'm sure someone for TSP can say as they have all the specs on them.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

They're saposed to install at 1.8. I wanted to make sure there was no up or down lol. I kept putting the seat on and the retainer on and bother were identical so I figured there is no possible way. Just irritates me that this happens. I tried so hard to make sure it was all perfect and than this happens.

Quick Reply: Just my luck. Changed oil after an hour of running with new cam. Broken spring.....