General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issues

I just bought a 1987 camaro with a 383, brand new heads cam crank intake....the works.....the first day i had it i got to register it went to go start it and it would not start, wouldnt even attempt to as if there was absolutely no power.....but there was.....i had it towed home inspected the issue and one of the wires that runs from the cylonoid to the starter was melted in half. I took the starter apart found iron wool in the starter but still put the wires back together and tested it outside the engine and it worked, but when i would hook it up to the engine and try starting it smoke would come rolling out and it would burn the wire up again. NOTHING is shorting all of the negatives and positives are where theyre supposed to be and not touching. Could it be that the compression is high in this motor and the starter isnt strong enough so it keeps frying itself up? Could it be the battery? (700cca) The starter that is on it now is a performance starter to, the engine still seemed like its always had problems turning over since day one. It just turns so slowly and its never an instant fire up. Im going to order a more powerful starter soon to see if that is the problem but i want an opinion first. Any advice is helpful.....thanks