Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New from AZ with an ambitious swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from AZ with an ambitious swap

Hi
Just beginning my research into a LS swap into an 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
My goals are about 450/450 hp/torque
I may use a 4L80E or so, Transmission and the transfer case will be determined by space available .
I am at least looking at a transfer case that will get me about a 4-1 gear ration
One option I see so far is the Atlas 2 that has a 3.88 to 1

My FJ has about 128000 miles on it and still runs fine, doesn't burn a drop of oil
With all the modification I have done, it's pretty heavy.
I will initially keep the rear dif (knowing a dana 60 is in it's future)
The front dif will remain(for now)
The power of the FJ is fine off road and while rock crawling, so not getting happy with the skinny pedal, will keep the front happy.
I pull a camper and enclosed trailer that makes the truck struggle in hills. Thats where the power will be used. Plus the fact that I want to make it a sleeper to the unknowing . Untill they hear it of course

I did toy with the idea of a s/c or turbo set up but I come from the old school of "no replacement for displacement" and want my power to be N/A.

The other reason for this is that I want to do it Period.
I have done many original mods to my FJ including a camera system that allows me to rock spot for myself
It's really kind of elaborate

Frame stiffening, tie overs, gussets, motor mounts, tranny and transfer case mounts are all in the plan. Possible custom radiator, Stand alone pcm, tied to the FJ ecu to retain gauges etc.
possible tranny tunnel mods

Custom headers and other thing I know that will come up. If room is there I hope to keep the stock fuel system, with upgrades to the pump/ delivery
I have come hear to learn from the pro's
thanks
Don
Old 08-26-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds awesome! Lots of good info and knowledgeable guys here on LS1tech to get you through the swap. And welcome!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM

Thanks
Where could I find exact dimensions of each piece of the puzzle
Trans? Some of the different models to see which would fit best. Mostly lengths, but diameter at bell housing wouldn't hurt either. I would imagine all LS motors are the same length. I know the width is fine, but I need length from front of water pump pulley. to the bell housing. I did some searches but couldn't find it
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Welcome, Where in AZ are you?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks
I'm in Tempe
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Why would you put a 60 in the rear? Rear 60s suck. 14 bolt or Dana 70 would be a much better idea.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 AM

I'm not definite on any of it yet. There are a few swap kits for dif's in FJ's that retain some of the stuff that is important. I know one of them is the 60. It's a direct bolt in. There is also a 9" made to be a bolt in too . I will weigh all the options . That will be phase 2 of the swap.
I will use the stock dif until I can recover from the rest.
I will definitely look into your suggestions
thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by wikidfj
Hi
Just beginning my research into a LS swap into an 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
My goals are about 450/450 hp/torque
I may use a 4L80E or so, Transmission and the transfer case will be determined by space available .
I am at least looking at a transfer case that will get me about a 4-1 gear ration
One option I see so far is the Atlas 2 that has a 3.88 to 1

My FJ has about 128000 miles on it and still runs fine, doesn't burn a drop of oil
With all the modification I have done, it's pretty heavy.
I will initially keep the rear dif (knowing a dana 60 is in it's future)
The front dif will remain(for now) attraction
The power of the FJ is fine off road and while rock crawling, so not getting happy with the skinny pedal, will keep the front happy.
I pull a camper and enclosed trailer that makes the truck struggle in hills. Thats where the power will be used. Plus the fact that I want to make it a sleeper to the unknowing . Untill they hear it of course

I did toy with the idea of a s/c or turbo set up but I come from the old school of "no replacement for displacement" and want my power to be N/A.

The other reason for this is that I want to do it Period.
I have done many original mods to my FJ including a camera system that allows me to rock spot for myself
It's really kind of elaborate

Frame stiffening, tie overs, gussets, motor mounts, tranny and transfer case mounts are all in the plan. Possible custom radiator, Stand alone pcm, tied to the FJ ecu to retain gauges etc.
possible tranny tunnel mods

Custom headers and other thing I know that will come up. If room is there I hope to keep the stock fuel system, with upgrades to the pump/ delivery
I have come hear to learn from the pro's
thanks
Don
Rear 60? What's the reason and are you planning to update?

Quick Reply: New from AZ with an ambitious swap