Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C3 Swap] What to do with hoses I don't need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [C3 Swap] What to do with hoses I don't need?

Swapping a 02 LS1/T56 into my '69 vette. Figured the guys over on the corvette forum need a break from all my questions and thought many here might know just as good.

1. What's a good computer to read OBDII codes when I get this thing fired up?
I won't have gauges till this winter but was still hoping to fire it up and maybe take it around the block to know it works. But need a code reader...

2. The missing hose here I heard i can hook up to to run my vacuum headlights. correct?

3. The other hose from the first picture goes into this thing. it has no plug so I assume it doesn't work or do anything. Can I eliminate it and plug up the other end from the first picture?

4. And the best place to find caps for these two tubes. One is huge... not sure what a hose cap would be called and what sizes are needed for these two ends.

(capping the end on the motor...not this end)

Here it is. Just put the MAF up there to figure out what wires go where. I will not be running that intake. All wired up and O2 sensors extended to reach the sidepipes.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Picture #1... for Vacuum source for the HVAC, you can cap it if your cars doesn't need the Vacuum for the Heater / AC. yes you can use it to supply a vacuum for other accessories, i.e. head light doors.

Picture #2 ??

Picture #3... That is the Vacuum port for the HVAP / Vapor Purge valve/solenoid. I use the port for my Charcoal Canister, you can plug it with what every you find is a the correct side.. secure it with a small holes clamp if needed.

Picture #4... That is for your Brake Booster. From the last picture, I take it you have manual brakes. Again.. plug it with what you find. See if you can plug it at the intake.. would look better if out of sight. ...same as like #3.

If you have an Andnoid based phone or tablet.. you can get a Bluetooth ODBII adapter (around $20-$30), The load up Torque, The you can use it as part of your dash board, it well read and display all of your engine gauges via the ODBII Port and what the ECM is reading. I Use it myself. Cheap solution..

But you can always buy a cheap scanner from the local parts store, ebay, or ???..

BC
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Swapping a 02 LS1/T56 into my '69 vette. Figured the guys over on the corvette forum need a break from all my questions and thought many here might know just as good.
You cant hide that easily
It is looking good. Did you get you radiator straightened out?
If you are going to replace the intake anyway, just plug it with a bolt or whatever for temporary use. I cant remember if the intake side of the booster hose has the quick connect like a truck, if it does here is a more permanent solution.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58788

Last edited by 74modified; 08-26-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic #2...I eliminated the entire assembly and capped it. You can use one of the unused ports off the MAP for your headlights. That's what I did anyways.

You can get caps at Advance or Autozone in varying sizes that will work for you.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way...keep starting threads on CF. I want to inundate that forum with so many LSx swap threads that they give us our own subforum. LOL
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

If your gonna run without gauges at the least make sure you have oil pressure first. LSX engines that have been setting on a shelf long are well known to not prime themselves.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rockytopper
If your gonna run without gauges at the least make sure you have oil pressure first. LSX engines that have been setting on a shelf long are well known to not prime themselves.
I'll have to pick up a cheapo gauge since I don't think any of the sensors hooked up are oil.

It's this one right? (the empty socket)

I guess I need to get the connection for it too since the old one went with the old harness.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Launching!

It would not hurt to hook up a mechanical oil gauge (even a cheap one).
Here are two ways. Drill and tap the oil cooler bypass or the original electric sender from the back of block. (mine was broken anyway) 1/8NPT
Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Yes that is it and they do make a cheap adapter fitting to use the factory location, but drilling the factory Sensor looks even cheaper.

Last edited by rockytopper; 08-27-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: [C3 Swap] What to do with hoses I don't need?