Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Noob asking about 5.3L setups...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob asking about 5.3L setups...

I know this is my first post and maybe I shouldn't be asking a question as big as this with it, but I'm pretty excited about my new motor and possibilities.

First I'll start with the motor I recently purchased. It is a 5.3L cast Iron block out of a 2002 Avalance.

Basically I have been doing a very good bit of research, my problem is i haven't seen too many threads that are specific enough for a noob like myself. I hope I'm not posting over my head or anything and I know these questions are answered daily here. I just want to build my motor right. I don't have what one would call a budget, but I also don't want to spend over my head in that I would have been better off with a 6.0... If that made any sense.

What my goals are are 7-800whp on a streetable single turbo set up. I would also like as little lag as possible. I don't need it to be a DD but I would like to be able to take it out on the weekends and cruise around relatively comfortably. I plan on throwing it into a G Body of the Regal/Cutlass sort. Don't have a car yet, but I'm pretty set on a G body.

So I guess what I'm getting at is simple... for you guys anyway. What kind of set up has proven to work and given you big power? I really would like to know the best heads/cam combo as I should be able to figure out the rest as in bottom end and turbo myself but please if anyone has a full setup that matches what I'm wanting and would like to share I will not stop you at all!

I hope I've been specific enough! Thanks in advance, I'm ready to get this thing going!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

5.3 with ls6 cam and heads with a turbo setup is a great budget build that will make great power when boosted. Remember the hidden costs of boost also when you start your build so your not discouraged when they show up. Good luck with the build
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget some beefed up valve springs to be able to handle that boost. I personally went with a l33 aluminum 5.3 that has higher compression, but used the "317" heads which flow better but drop compression. The cam will depend largely on turbo selection as well as your choice of transmission and rev limit.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the responses guys!

Quick Reply: Noob asking about 5.3L setups...