Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DDM HID kit or BLS Projector kit

Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default DDM HID kit or BLS Projector kit

Hi all Im ready to pull the trigger on a DDM hid kit but I have a couple questions. I'm going with a 5000k 55w setup for my low beams only. I have read that the 55w kit requires a relay harness for safety.

Now in the options menu on the site below I know how to fill out the top part but on the bottom, it asks about a dual in dual out harness. Is this the relay harness I need? Also it then says something about an H1/H7 to 9006 light harness, is that also something i need? Finally I know the standard hid ballast is plug and play but will the relay harness also plug right in with the exception of the battery wire?

Now that I've been looking into this conversion I've decided I'd like to get some new housings because it seems 2 months after I polish mine they yellow right up again. So I was looking at the BLS kit in the end it would be around 150 more for everything but it would be a better setup right? Does anyone have any reviews on them

Thanks Dan

Last edited by redbird555; 08-27-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Which car?
Which bulbs/housings?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Hi all Im ready to pull the trigger on a DDM hid kit but I have a couple questions. I'm going with a 5000k 55w setup for my low beams only. I have read that the 55w kit requires a relay harness for safety.

Now in the options menu on the site below I know how to fill out the top part but on the bottom, it asks about a dual in dual out harness. Is this the relay harness I need? Also it then says something about an H1/H7 to 9006 light harness, is that also something i need? Finally I know the standard hid ballast is plug and play but will the relay harness also plug right in with the exception of the battery wire?

Thanks Dan
I do believe the dual in out harness is what your needing. I ordered this for my H3 bulbs and everything was plug and play. I think it is suppose to help our factory wiring to help carry the load from the battery on startup.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

sorry guys it was for an 02 camaro. And yes that's whats I was looking at, I just wasnt sure if the dual in/out harness was the same thing as the relay harness. even with any hid I didn't want the pewny stock wires to take the shock load from the hid.

My headlight housings are pretty cloudy again and if I had a dime for every time I've restored them I'd be a millionaire. So I was looking at the depo housings and I was contemplating saving up a little longer and investing in the xenon conversion black bird solutions offers. Its about 150 more by the time everything is said and done but I'd end up with a nicer looking and safer setup no?

Also one other thing about the BLS kit, does the Bi-xenon projector serve the purpose of both a low and high beam? I understand there is a wiring mod for the bls kit to make this function can someone point me in that direction?

Last edited by redbird555; 08-27-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the extra $150 your getting a way better setup. A PNP system like the DDM, offers only minimal improvement compared to a proper projector set up. If you can afford it do the BLS kit.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Definitely save up for the BLS setup.
Bi-xenon has high & low beam in one projector.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't the 350z's come with Bi-Zenon from the factory. If so then get these because my wife's car is super bright at night on low beams only.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

ya from what I gather depo housings come in at 150 or so shipped. then the hid kit I was looking at with the 55w ballast and harness was 70 bucks so thats 220 the bls kit looks to be 325 plus an hid kit so I would think the extra 150 or so is justified lol. as far as I can tell I must also do the low/high beam mod where the low beam will stay on with the high beam to make the projectors function properly.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought the bls projectors were not intended for 55w setups.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLS kit all the way. Its the only way to go
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by scj
I thought the bls projectors were not intended for 55w setups.
They're not if I go with the BLS kit im going to use a standard 35w kit.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just responded to your PM. Our 98-02 Camaro setup uses a H1 style lamp for the projector. We typically recommend a relay harness be used for any HID kit. The low/high function of the projector can be done in one of two ways. One is a free mod that is written up in the lighting hall of fame. If you are comfortable soldering some wires together, this is pretty simple.

For those not looking to do any of that, we do sell connectors at an additional cost to achieve the same effect. You are essentially wiring the car to have all four lights on (low/high) at the same time.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Projectors all they way, and BLS does some nice stuff if you're not up to doing the retrofit yourself. Like me. I could have done it, but then I would have been still tinkering with them 6 months later at least. No, I wanted them done, and done right.

Seriously, putting 35W HID in your stock housings is bad. Putting 55W HID in your stock housings is downright terrible for everyone else on the road. Nothing like having something nearly 2x as bright as high beams coming at you

I think I have the most custom BLS headlight set of anyone on here so far. I have mine wired up so the outer projectors are low beams (like stock), but high beams are both inner and outer HID turned on, with all 4 cutoff shields open. Oh yeah, broad daylight at midnight Sucks for the person who won't turn off his high beams coming the other way if I flash my lights - gets the point across real quick
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another one here for the BLS kit. I put it on my car and it's the best thing I've put on my car yet. The light output from a set of HID's in stock housings might be brighter, but the beam pattern down the road still sucks *****. Mine are total day and night in comparison. I recently got passed by a Chevy Silverado with HID's in the stock housings, and you could easily tell the difference between his headlights and mine on the road. Mine were much brighter, more distinct, and lit up the road a TON better than his. The projector setup is easily the best way to go.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

ya thanks guys im leaning towards that kit probably within the next few weeks (waiting for work paycheck lol) are there any pics of the whistlered ones floating around? I saw the all black ones but I'm just wondering if i order the whistler ones does it black out the projector side and leave the old high beam side chrome or are both areas where the bulbs are chrome still?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They can do whatever you want. Some have done all black (like me) others have done just the whistler with the shrouds black, or keep the shrouds chrome to match the chrome high beam bucket reflector, or whatever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DDM HID kit or BLS Projector kit