Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger belt too tight? - is this a bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Procharger belt too tight? - is this a bad thing?

Cant seem to find specifics when searching.
Using a 8-rib setup with the GTO tensioner main bracket.

Is it possible to have the belt too tight? If so, will this harm the head unit?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it a static tensioner? If so, as the rpms increase, the belt will stretch which lowers the tension. That's one of the reasons I dislike a static tensioner is because you have to put way too much tension on them at idle in order to maintain enough tension throughout the rpm band. Too much tension can't be good for the blower bearings or the crank bearings either.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually its just the opposite, cause we can not get the belt tight enough to stop slippage with the stock setups.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Spade
Usually its just the opposite, cause we can not get the belt tight enough to stop slippage with the stock setups.
What's the opposite? That an adjustable tensioner isn't better than a static tensioner?

When do you need more tension, as the rpms increase, and with a static tensioner, that doesn't happen. The belt will stretch with rpms, and the tension on the belt drops, causing slippage, and once slippage starts to happen, you're done because now the belt is heating up and getting a 'glaze' on the the rubber which causes it to slip even more.

Why do you think everyone with a static f-body procharger tensioner ends up going with an active tensioner to get rid of belt slip.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is not a static tensioner.
It would be the same tensioner used in this video:

This belt is super tight, Im just wondering if this is hard on the head unit bearings. Thing seems loud at idle.
my guess is the tensioner bearings would go before the head unit, if thats even possible...
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never had a problem with belt tension causing any problems. I know you don't have a static tensioner, but I've had to run extremely tight belts with static tensioners and have not encountered any problems. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM
9 Second Club

I think Bob told me "guitar string" tight. LOL I worried about it too, but never had an issue.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

If it has a spring loaded tensioner on it, and it still has some movement in order to take it off, then it's fine. It's the tensioners that are static that you have to load up with way too much tension statically that are a concern to me.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
What's the opposite? That an adjustable tensioner isn't better than a static tensioner?

When do you need more tension, as the rpms increase, and with a static tensioner, that doesn't happen. The belt will stretch with rpms, and the tension on the belt drops, causing slippage, and once slippage starts to happen, you're done because now the belt is heating up and getting a 'glaze' on the the rubber which causes it to slip even more.

Why do you think everyone with a static f-body procharger tensioner ends up going with an active tensioner to get rid of belt slip.
I was refering to not getting the belt tight enough, not about they type of tensioner. Sorry

Quick Reply: Procharger belt too tight? - is this a bad thing?