PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanging idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanging idle issue

Ok so i have done alot of reading and searching for a solution but nothing has fixed it. Some background on the car, 2000 SS M6 small cam and headers tune last year and nothing has changed since then. The rpms starting hanging around 2k until i stopped moving and also cause the cruise control feel. I have replaced the pcv/boot, tps, iac and did the relearn procedure inbetween replacing everything. Before i replaced the iac with a new one i took it out cleaned it good, no help. So i unscrewed it to the closed position and cranked the car when it was hot and it idled and ran great. Tried it when it was cold and it stumbled a little and need some help till it was warm but still ran great. So now after I replaced everything and did the relearn it starts and runs fine when the engine is cold and can drive it anywhere until i park it turn it off and restart it, Like just going to the store. It idles a tad higher and then when i start moving it wants to hang anywhere between 1500-1900 rpm until i come to a complete stop and wait a couple secs. Ruled out a vacuum leak because it doesn't do it all the time and when i just unplugged the iac it ran and came down to idle when i knock it into neutral, Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its in the tune, you happen to have hp tuners or access to it?? I can help
Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 PM

No I don't unfortunately and there is no shop real close that does. Everything is at least a hour and half or more away, I had it tuned in Birmingham, Al. last time. But if that is for sure the problem I'm going to have to try and get in touch with my tuner or take it to another shop. Its my DD and its really aggravating, I'm about to swap intake manifolds and was going to get a tune but just really wanted to get this problem straighten out before I potentially made it worse. Is it something that could be corrected thru a mail order tune through frost or someone? I just don't get why it just started acting up out of nowhere. Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It just started??? Ok I missed that then, (thats what I get for quick reading). Its not in the tune then, since your are seeing higher RPM you must be seeing more air somewhere on the intake side of things, I would recheck brother.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM

It doesn't do it with the IAC unplugged or with it plugged it on a cold start just on the hot restart?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 PM

Ok, so a little update. My slave bleeder line busted the other day as I was pulling up at work and sprayed fluid all over the headers, so a nice quick steam show. So I had a friend tow it to the shop while it was running so I would have power brakes and steering. And I noticed as the car picked up speed from a stop the rpms would rise accordingly up to a max of 1900 or so. So without giving it any gas would this mean its a tuning issue between the speed sensor and idling?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throttle cracker and decay tables need work...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 AM
10 Second Club

I agree. cracker and follower.

However, I would start with either cleaning your IAC or getting a new one. tune spark timing at and around idle, MAF and VE tables, base idle airflow, cracker/follower in that order.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Banned

my car was reving how ever it wanted i had auto zone do a check on it and they told me it could be from my knock sensors to me needing a new intake. one day i opened the hood to jump off my friends car and i noticed that there was a huge hole in the vaccum line that goes to the bottom of the intake right behind the throttle body. onced i replaced that the check engine light went off it was a little quiter and it ran smoother. my car idled fined after that none of that inconsistant idling, so i know this my not help but it could also whats wrong with your car maybe hope it helps
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 PM

Ok thanks alot, I cleaned the IAC and throttle body real good then replaced the iac with a new one. I'll have to get in touch with my tuner and try to get it worked out then.

Quick Reply: Hanging idle issue