Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Z06 corvette

Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Z06 corvette

Ok guys new to forum, and ls based motors. I purchased this car about 3 months ago, 2001Z with 38,000 miles, cammed, supposedly dual valve springs, and it said strong retainers,vararam intake, carbon fiber bridge, and lt headers, no cats some slight oil consumption upon getting it changed from 5x-30 to 15-50 both mobil1, then oil usage seemed to stabilize and become minimal and only saw it if I was really running it hard. Started having problems with clutch sticking to floor, so had it replaced with tick performance master cylinder, speed bleed line,18lb flywheel, and complete monster stage 3 clutch kit. I noticed more ticking noise when I got it back from shop, my mechanic had it plus went to exhaust shop to get exhaust fixed up a little. So now i've had it back like 3 weeks, noticed ticking noise immediately when motor gets up to 2500+ rpms and hold it almost sewing machine like, my mechanic said it was just normal valvetrain noise with cammed and dual valve springs. I got sick and car set this 3 week period, started it up noticed some blueish smoke and car used like 1.5 quarts of oil next couple of days, kept monitoring and it seems like after i started driving it the oil consumption balanced out and i ended up putting a total of 2 quarts drove it like 200 miles and tracked it no oil consumption???? kinda crazy like maybe a valve seal is not sealing until its driven. Sorry for the long spill just trying to make sure nothing that could cause further damage to motor is occurring, ala broken valve spring, rockers, rings not sealing, any advice would be welcomed.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this sounds silly but all ticking noise ive ever really heard was due to a spark plug/wire unless you have a sound clip. Did you pull all the plugs and check all your wires??
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Rockers could be spittin' the bearings out and the valve seals could be
torn up or damaged from spring surge if the duals were not shimmed
to the correct height.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Launching!

The 2001s definitely had some bad oil consumption problems. Rings did not seal properly from the factory.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common issue for the 2001Z's.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Isn't 15-50 just a little thick for a 38K mile engine? I know it has been used successfuly in real high mile engines.
The sudden ticking would possibly lead me to believe your shop took it out and drove the **** out of it. I'd be pulling the coils and valve covers and have a look see. I'd probably pull the rockers as well.
And I'd be looking at the plugs for signs of oil consumption.
What exactly do you mean by "tracked" it?

Ron
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even with the small ring issues in 01 you should not burn that much oil that quickly. I'd look at valve seals. It's a cheap and relatively easy swap that would also give you the chance to see if u haste any bent pushrods causing the ticking
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

What exactly do you mean by "tracked" it?

I took it to the drap strip for the first time just to play a little, sounds like good advice guys I think I will prepare to do valve seals, and at that point I would be able to look at springs, rockers,etc. to see if anything looks damaged. Is the valve seals something that a mechanically inclined guy with no experience with valvetrain issues can handle? Is this pretty striaghtforward what would be steps or am I better to just take back to my mechanic.

I do trust my mechanic but don't know anything about his help or the exhaust shop they sent it to, all I know is I don't recall that much valvetrain noise until after I got it back. Thanks again for the advice so far, I will look at all pug wires asap, I'll try to post sound clip as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you sure you just aren't getting used to the sound of the engine? So now its more noticeable? Man, after i installed my cam, motor sounds like a singer sewing machine. Watch this cold start video of my car, I walk around the motor, listen to the sewing machine. I did the ls7 lifters and did the trunion upgrade. No more needle bearings. My redline is 6900rpms, I race the car and have zero oil consumption

Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Teching In

My mechanic said he thought it was fine, maybe your right, they reworked the exhaust put different midsection in possibly quietened the exhaust down a little maybe thats why i think noise is different, dunno??? I will try and get exhaust clip. Really nice looking car you have by the way. I am gonna do the valve seals and check out all items in the process, maybe there are no major issues. I dont notice it unless I am just driving normal and run rpms up 2500-3500 right about where exhaust drone goes down and this ticking sewing machine sound come out, just sounds like its on drivers side, I have not ridden in passenger side but leaning over I cant hear it over my side anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Z06 corvette