General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 camaro ls1 o2 sensor codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 camaro ls1 o2 sensor codes

Hello
I am a newbie. Recently purchased my first ls1 car which is a 1998 camaro that is a former patrol car from a city in Ca.

When I got the car it was ok running it normal. When I would get on it and drive it hard (wot) the SES light up. If I then drove it easy eventually the light would go out. As long as the car was run easy no codes would pop up...

I scanned the car and got codes 131 and 151 which I know were the upstream o2 sensors on each side.
I changed both yesterday with new denso sensors and it seemed like the car really woke up...I started to run it hard some and again the SES light popped on. Now it runs lame again as it's in limp mode.
I am stumped as I know nothing about these GM cars. I have been a fox body mustang guy for the past 15 years.

Any suggestions/help to get this beast running how it should?
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How many miles are on the car? Do you know if you are working with the original engine and/or if it's been rebuilt?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Teching In

112k miles. Everythings original.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Wow. If this were a normal car, (its not) I'd say that its probably not an O2 sensor issue since you are getting codes from both sides of the car at the same time. If the codes only come when you are WOT, then its probably something else in the engine and the O2 sensors are just warning you of a lean condition.

Here's some great reading before going further: http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/counterp_v2_i3_1998.pdf

The first culprits I'd check are things that can lean you out at WOT:
- A dirty MAF
- Stuck throttle plate
- Low fuel pressure

Aside from the problem, someone must be lying to you about the car or you got a great deal! I can't imagine how a 14 year old police patrol car could only have 112K miles on it. (That's what my '99 has on it from 13 years of occasional daily driving.) Every squad car I've ever seen has taken a ton of abuse.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the P0131 and P0151 mean both upstream O2 sensors remained lean for 2 minutes or longer setting the SES light. Being you bought the car used and given it's history and mileage replacing the upstream O2 sensors was a good idea.
does that year have EGR? if so then my first guess would be you need to have the EGR valve serviced. Some other things are checking the PCV valve and pcv hose running to the throttle body. I don't believe a bad MAF sensor would cause your codes without also setting P0101... i bought a 2006 Sierra pickup and went through these codes plus P0101. If you have the stock air lid with the paper air filter and you don't have P0101 than chances are your MAF is good. Also check to see if the wire mesh / honeycomb screen is still present in the MAF sensor, if it is not then I would replace the MAF. Some other things that can cause lean conditions are bad intake manifold gasket, and any solenoids that are emission related that have hoses going to the intake or throttle body. On my truck there is a fuel vapor purge valve solenoid ($25) that can leak and set random lean codes. Not sure if this is present on a 1998 LS1. But the AIR pump that runs to inject air into the exhaust just after startup to heat the catalytic converters can be a source of the problem, the solenoid that seals this piping can be leaking letting fresh air into the exhaust tripping a lean code when the engine cylinders are not running lean so you get the SES but the engine never seems to have a problem.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
I don't believe a bad MAF sensor would cause your codes without also setting P0101...
I had a dirty MAF set a 131 and 151. (courtesy of K&N) I think its related to the way the PCM is programmed on the F bodies. The program seems to be biased heavily towards the input from the MAF.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the tips!

Problem solved.....
After changing the 02's I was still getting code 151.
Reset the SES. Within 1 mile of driving I hit wot and the SES popped on.
I changed the MAF sensor and problem solved!
I initially tried to clean the old Maf and that didn't work.

As far as my car being an ex police car only having 112k original miles it's legit! The city of Escondido CA bought it in 98 and kept it until 5/2010 when it got sold with 110k miles. I have all the paperwork/records for it.

The actual officer that drove the car for 7 years was a huge help. He sent me tons of pics of the car thru the years from taking delivery at the dealership to various in service pics. I also have the window sticker.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stubes
Thanks for all the tips!

Problem solved.....

As far as my car being an ex police car only having 112k original miles it's legit! The city of Escondido CA bought it in 98 and kept it until 5/2010 when it got sold with 110k miles. I have all the paperwork/records for it.

The actual officer that drove the car for 7 years was a huge help. He sent me tons of pics of the car thru the years from taking delivery at the dealership to various in service pics. I also have the window sticker.

What MAF did you buy? Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you need to buy a MAF, your best bet is to mail order the delphi one from rockauto dot com for $100. or if you can find the delphi one from another place cheaper. don't waste your money on the acdelco one which is the most expensive.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubes
Thanks for all the tips!

Problem solved.....

I was gonna say change the MAF........any time you get a SES light when you go WOT, then the light goes out......it's the MAF.

The MAF is only used by the PCM during cold engine start up till you reach 122*F, then the MAF shuts down and the 02 sensors take over metering everything. Then the MAF will come back into play when you go WOT to help the 02 sensors maintain proper metering. Then when you come off the gas the MAF stops helping.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
if you need to buy a MAF, your best bet is to mail order the delphi one from rockauto dot com for $100. or if you can find the delphi one from another place cheaper. don't waste your money on the acdelco one which is the most expensive.
+1000!!! (I also personally believe it is BETTER THAN all of the other ones as well. )

Quick Reply: 98 camaro ls1 o2 sensor codes