Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any advice?

hey everyone, ok so im a kid whos gonna be 18 soon. and my dream car is a trans am. not just any it has to be a 98-02 body style and it has to be a true ws6 with a 6 speed. i have enough saved up for one im just not to sure what color. i really like them all. what colors do you guys think are the best? i have a firetruck red 2001 dodge, so a red trans am would match, but im not sure. also what are some good starting mods that you would suggest? thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Personally, I am torn between black and white cars.. Is your 2001 Dodge a Ram or a Dakota? I use to have a 2001 black Dakota R/T. As for starting mods, an SLP lid and a set of longtubes will make her sound real nice. Then after that it's cam time. You'd be surprised the difference the mods make and feel in these cars.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had red, black and now white. I like the white the best, it kind of tones down the aggressive styling of the T/A and makes it a bit more palletable. I added a blue blackbird stripe to break up the white a bit, and as a nod to the heritage of the Trans Am. If I had to choose another color, it would definitely be sunset orange metallic. Pic of my T/A...

Edit...as for mods, I started with a lid, catback, and a Frost Tune. I want to do headers, and maybe a stall. Later, maybe heads/cam.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have had black, red, and now white. I also had a blue Camaro. GM really didn't make a bad color, gold and purple are the rarest, SOM is most beautiful, black is the baddest, but also the hardest to keep clean by far! Especially in the south with pollen. Red and white are about the same in cleaning maintenance in my opinion.
Mods, on a true WS-6 I don't think the lid mentioned above will be compatible with the airbox, but I may be wrong as mine have been base T/A's. My first T/A had a TSP Rumbler cat-back that sounded amazing, so I would go there first. I got LT's on my T/A recently, and I am not blown away by the sound like I thought I might be. I have my stock cam as well, and I think a bigger cam, along with a tune would give me a more aggressive sound and quicker performance. I would stay away from Nitrous as many guys your age and older tend to install. I recommend you get some additional years of driving experience as well as get a real feel for your car before putting it on steroids and risking overdoing it and causing expensive damage. Most of us replace springs and shocks for lower stance, and add a strut tower brace for added rigidity. Good luck with it!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Teching In

thanks guys! and i have a red 2001 dodge ram 2500 hd ext cab, mostly stock except a 4inch lift, also thanks for the color advise i saw a sunset orange one for the first time today online. talk about sexy! but youre white and blue one looks bad *** man! and all these mods forsure sound good! ill keep them in mind definatlly, ill keep you all updated! thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Teching In

dont forget about getting 315s in the back! (: those tires always make em look good.

Ive always wanted a purple ta......
Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 PM

Furious, did you paint the back bumper yourself? I love the way that sets off the rear or the T/A. I want to do it but am way too picky to rattle can my car.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

did the same thing with my white trans am rear bumper, huge visual difference, i say to go white, although you can see dirt easier it looks nice when cleaned up

Quick Reply: any advice?