General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

another window motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another window motor problem

sorry guys for another question on windows motor problem but i cant seem to find an answer.

so i bought the car with the windows motors were both done for, replaced both my self, after a few days of it working fine put the drivers side all the way down and didn't want to come back up after being pissed off at it i hit the door panel few times then it went back up after doing this every so often for about a month it finally decided not to go back up after beating on it lol. so i replaced it again with another new window motor. tested all the wires with a volt meter and there all good.

after installing the new window motor after a few days it continues to have the same problem with it stalling out a random times when i put the window down.

only ideas i have is possibly a short somewhere but not real sure.

any answers/ideas would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What brand of motor are you using? It's very common for reman motors to be duds.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Teching In

um not real sure whatever auto zone caries got both of em there cause of the warranty and i didnt want to buy another one from a different parts store so i took my chances
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Your receipt should tell you. Getting the Dorman brand motor should solve this problem and AutoZone should be able to switch brands for you.

You probably have remans now. They are notorious for being bad out of the box.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I'm having the same issue. Mine differs with the addition Of the window being loose. The mounts are tight and not broken. Just not lining up with the catch which I can fix w an adjustment. Still I think my motor is dead. Are they hard to replace?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone sucks and overprices their stuff. Go through XXXX or XXXX. Or, go to XXXX.

Last edited by wssix99; 09-01-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: promotion of non-sponsors
Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Teching In

There not that bad but then again I've done my drivers side twice and passenger side once, nice to have someone holding the window up.

You wouldnt think that 2 window motors could be duds Maybe all try another auto parts store never have really like auto zone anyways.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the bcm.. the solder connections crack at the relay and causes intermittent operation of the windows and radio.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken to avoiding autozone like the plague. Crappy replacement parts, crappy service, ignorant employees, employees lying to my face, no help from the regional or national office. When it comes time to do brakes on my car, I'm getting pads somewhere else and returning the ones from Autozone. Hell, back when I replaced my opti, I had tried a duracraps ICM to see if that fixed the problem before I went full Opti Swap. So I swapped back to my OEM ICM of 160k miles and gained 2 full mpg and am faster by the butt dyno.

Last edited by DisasterFormula; 09-01-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Save the manuals!

We can bash Autozone here all we want, but its not helpful considering ALL auto parts stores and online retailers sell the same brands in this instance.

The important thing is to get the newer Dorman design wherever you go. IMO - Purchasing a part that will likely fail in the future is a lot more helpful from a bricks & mortar store due to the ease of servicing the warranty.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Teching In

My passenger side window was always on the rag...i replaced the motor twice and still it would hesitate or just stop working when trying to raise the window. My solution (and I did it myself, proving its fairly easy) was to purchase the Autotrix passenger side window fix..you run a wire directly to the battery from the controls in the door. You'll have to cut wires, so if that scares you don't do it. But I did it step by step and have not had one more issue with the window/motor defecting on me.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by DebbieInc
My passenger side window was always on the rag...i replaced the motor twice and still it would hesitate or just stop working when trying to raise the window. My solution (and I did it myself, proving its fairly easy) was to purchase the Autotrix passenger side window fix..you run a wire directly to the battery from the controls in the door. You'll have to cut wires, so if that scares you don't do it. But I did it step by step and have not had one more issue with the window/motor defecting on me.
If people insist on using poor quality reman motors on the cars, this kit is probably the only thing that can "help." (It still won't "fix" the problem, though.)

Installing a new Dorman motor is a lot easier and less expensive.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

so ive been going along with the same window motor and every time i put the window down i make sure it stays up a little bit ever since ive been doing that i havnt had a problem with it.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by gwizz15
so ive been going along with the same window motor and every time i put the window down i make sure it stays up a little bit ever since ive been doing that i havnt had a problem with it.
A lot of people do this because they subscribe to the myth that this helps the door cracking problem - but in the case of the motor, this may help its longevity by not triggering the thermal cutoff. IMO - I'd rather have a better designed motor where I don't have to do this and can use my express down feature.

Quick Reply: another window motor problem