General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Chirp/squeak from rear right tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Chirp/squeak from rear right tire?

01 Formula 62k miles

I noticed today when driving in a residential area, a weird steady constant chirp noise coming from the rear right passenger tire....as far as I can tell. It can barely be heard when cruising at around 35mph. I just replaced my rear rotors and pads last year and they rub horribly when in reverse also. I have about 500 miles on the car since the brakes were done.

Has anyone experienced this by chance or have any thoughts on what could be the cause of the annoying and mysterious chirp noise?

I plan on taking it to the shop this coming wednesday. Long story short, this shop hasn't been very helpful as of late. I would feel a whole lot better if I could point them in a solid direction.

Thanks for any replies in advance. You guys are always full of great and useful information.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Update: just in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

The shop inspected the rear rotors pads today. There is a lot of rust on the pads and rotors. They told me it's because I never drive it, which is true. I put about 500 miles on the car since I got the rotors/pads put on last July.

They also said the chirp/squeak I hear at around 20 to 35 mph is because of the brakes. For the hell of it, I pulled the ebrake and accelerated to 10mph and the squeak got noticeably louder.

Is what they are telling me make any sense? Any good recommendations on new rotors and pads? Also, any recommendations on sponsors with quick shipping and decent pricing?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spdls1
Update: just in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

The shop inspected the rear rotors pads today. There is a lot of rust on the pads and rotors. They told me it's because I never drive it, which is true. I put about 500 miles on the car since I got the rotors/pads put on last July.

They also said the chirp/squeak I hear at around 20 to 35 mph is because of the brakes. For the hell of it, I pulled the ebrake and accelerated to 10mph and the squeak got noticeably louder.

Is what they are telling me make any sense? Any good recommendations on new rotors and pads? Also, any recommendations on sponsors with quick shipping and decent pricing?
Brakemotive is running an AWESOME deal on pads/rotors still I think, could be the e-brake line needs adjusting. I'm sure someone knows more than me on brakes.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give the parking brake a few more pulls with the button pushed in while your rolling see if there isnt a rust build up on the parking brake shoes.... Do it at like 30 mph make sure no ones behind you! If it got louder when you did it the first time then its probably the culprit. Did you use cheap brakes? F bodys are not forgiving when it comes to cheap brakes and noise.... BTW F body parking brakes are self adjusting, just use it and it should adjust (or seize up from never using lol)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys. Yesterday, I pulled the ebrake and accelerated to 10mph and the right passenger side made a much louder constant squeak. I took it for a drive after that, and the constant chirp was more pronounced. I am assuming its the brake indicator on the pads. Won't know for sure though.

The rotors/pads the shop put on last year are made by a company called fastbrakes. Never heard of them and I assuming they are garbage. It was a temporary fix until I saved up for new all the way around. I never thought pads and rotors could rust that bad in a year on a garage kept summer car.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ebrake system in these cars uses drum pads that are separate from your regular disc brake pads. Therefore it's unlikely that the noise you are hearing is caused by the brake wear indicator on your disc pads.

It's possible that the rotors they used created a very tight clearance (rubbing) between the drum parking brake pads and the rotor which is giving you some noise. Like somebody else said, they're supposed to be self adjusting so maybe you can pull up on the brake a bit while driving to try and get them seated.

Also, take the car out on the highway and do some really aggressive stops from 60+ down to 10-20 mph several times without stopping completely. Then continue at highway speeds for a few miles to let everything cool down before you come to a complete stop. You might have some built up rust on the rotors from sitting so long.

Quick Reply: Chirp/squeak from rear right tire?