Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diagrams of the oil passage thru a block??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default diagrams of the oil passage thru a block??

hello i need diagrams of everwhere the oil flows thru a ls6 block.. reason is i have no oil pressure after i got my motor built. i changed 3 pumps, 5 o rings, 3 gauges, changed barbell in back, oil cooler, and countless amounts of oil. first thing i found out my builder didnt put the front plug in next to the oil pump. put that in and bam 80 lbs oil pressure.. it popped out and ever since then i havent had any pressure.. changed barbell to new one etc.. is there any plugs besides the barbell and one next to the pump? i spent so much money on this problem and over 50 hours doing this if not more. im fed up.. please send me pics of the diagram of the oil passages.. i dont think its bearings bc the motor runs like a champ and doesnt tick, knock anything.. so im really like wtf is it?!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here ya go, hope you get it sorted out...
Attached Thumbnails diagrams of the oil passage thru a block??-ls-oil-flow.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil pressure problems suck.

Some thoughts,

You did replace the press-in core plug after it popped out right? Obviously you did, but just checking since you didn't say so.

The camshaft thrust plate, is it in place and torqued down? Reason I mention it is that another shop sent me an engine with low oil pressure and that was the cause. Simple thing to check at least.

Are you relying on the factory gauges? If you are, try testing it with a mechanical gauge adapted to the same or similar location on the block.

If I think of anything else I'll post up. Any other details on the buildup? What CID and parts did you use?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

If you had pressure once and then blew out the plug it might be air locked. Try turning it over with the oil filter off, if oil comes out the prime is restored and pressure should be back.

Kurt
Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

This happened to us once when I was still in Hawaii. Turns out the oil pan gasket was reused and had torn right where the oil filter receives the oil from the pump and it was all bleeding straight back into the pan. No oil was making it up to the top of the engine at all.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a quick thought ,,,,,,I was at wal-mart looking in book 4 oil filters ,,,,,,,turns out They make some without anti-drain back valve ,,,,,,,,,?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Oil pressure problems suck.

Some thoughts,

You did replace the press-in core plug after it popped out right? Obviously you did, but just checking since you didn't say so.

The camshaft thrust plate, is it in place and torqued down? Reason I mention it is that another shop sent me an engine with low oil pressure and that was the cause. Simple thing to check at least.

Are you relying on the factory gauges? If you are, try testing it with a mechanical gauge adapted to the same or similar location on the block.

If I think of anything else I'll post up. Any other details on the buildup? What CID and parts did you use?
yes i had a plug laying around it wasnt really the correct size so i put silicone around it and i got 80 pounds of oil pressure then it popped out strange enough after i put the correct one in it didnt happen again. no factory gauges. had 3 different autometer gauges in it.

its a ls6 block 383. diamond pistons, total seal rings, callies crank and rods, eps cam, trickflow heads, everything brand new. was done with the best and right way and cant figure it out
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 427
If you had pressure once and then blew out the plug it might be air locked. Try turning it over with the oil filter off, if oil comes out the prime is restored and pressure should be back.

Kurt
thanks going to try this later!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

oil takes the path of least resistance just like electricity, did your engine builder verify all oil passages are free and clear in the bearings IE rod, main and cam bearings? is it a reputable engine builder?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by King Nothing
oil takes the path of least resistance just like electricity, did your engine builder verify all oil passages are free and clear in the bearings IE rod, main and cam bearings? is it a reputable engine builder?
it was a brand new block and im sure he checked thru everything..hes been building motors since the 60s/70s one of the most reputale builders around me
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SStressin
it was a brand new block and im sure he checked thru everything..hes been building motors since the 60s/70s one of the most reputale builders around me
but you said he didn't put a plug back in, did he have a reason for this or just simply forget? just remember people do make mistakes, they're only human but i hope you find out why it's not gettin oil pressure
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by King Nothing
but you said he didn't put a plug back in, did he have a reason for this or just simply forget? just remember people do make mistakes, they're only human but i hope you find out why it's not gettin oil pressure
He didnt built the hole longblock. He only did crank rods n pistons so he didnt know what i was doing and transferring from my old motor. So i started it no oil pressure. Changed pumps. Shimmed oil pan n pickup since stroker crank. Etc. found out theres a plug so pluged it. Got 80 lbs. popped out changed it with correct one and ever since then never got ot back up tere. Changed pumps o rings barbell n gauges.

Thats the order it happend in if that helps. Going to try n start it with no oil filter to see if it got air locked like suggested before. Its so strange bc no nocking or ticking. Motor runs amazing. I have 10 hot idle and goes up to 40 at cruising like 2-4k rpms
Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

If it has some pressure it is not air lock. Your original post said zero, your last says low pressure. If it has low pressure it is not air locked.

Kurt
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF you keep running it you will burn it up.

I would suggest taking the engine out and looking everthing over. sucks but you have something that is not obvious going on and will end up costing you one way or another.

Tim
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

10 pounds at idle and 40 pounds at speed is not out the norm. 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM is the specification.

10/40 pounds is pretty much a normal running engine when at operating temperature. Personally, I'd like to see a little more but you should be fine. You did state that "the motor runs like a champ and doesn't tick, knock anything".

What oil filter are you using?

I would say that 80 PSI is indicative of something wrong-like the pressure relieve valve hanging up in it's bore by some dirt or loose flashing. Perhaps when the incorrectly threaded plug you used blew out, it shocked the valve to move again.

Originally Posted by SStressin
....i had a plug laying around it wasnt really the correct size so i put silicone around it....
You seem to have a lot of work and quality parts into this build so this amateur-ish move has me wondering. Use the correct parts and do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: diagrams of the oil passage thru a block??