What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Z28 138K one owner runs great

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Z28 138K one owner runs great

I bought this car new in December of 1999, and it's just gotten to be too much to maintain it. There's a picture here:

http://www.ls1m.com/demo/newwheels.jpg

You can see from the driveway that it's developed a bit of a leak. KBB puts it at $4000 for "fair" condition (fluid leaks). It runs great, the a/c is out but I have the parts in the garage, going to fix that this w/e. I just installed new rims/tires/shocks/sway bars only 5K miles ago. List of mods:

SLP lid
Smooth bellows
Shorties (had to pass inspection)
Magnaflow catback
TCI 3500 stall
weld-in tubular subframe connectors
Relocation brackets
10-bolt cover (stock 2.73 gears)
17x9.5 Z06 rims from oewheels with new tires, front & rear
Koni SA shocks front & rear
Strano sway bars, front & rear

The radio died, but I have the brackets & stuff for it (Dual). It's just the head unit - accidentally shorted it out when the bouncy new shocks made a wire come loose. Like I said, it leaks: transmission fluid (I think it's the hose to the tranny cooler), oil (from the PCV catch-can; doesn't burn it), rear-end fluid (pinion seal). I'm getting too old for this crap - I love the car, but being without a/c in this Texas heat and taking on too many other projects - I just need a new car. Oh, power steering leaks, too. I have just been turning a blind eye to it and haven't kept up with the problems. When the windshield cracked, I kept waiting for it to fail inspection and then I would replace it, but it always passes. When the power steering started leaking, I just kept filling it up ("I'll fix that later...")

Any advice would be appreciated. I read the sticky at the top. With a rock-bottom $4k and having $2K of suspension upgrades plus all the other stuff I've done over the years, plus it's been on synthetic oil almost its whole life, and I'm a grown-up who doesn't hot-rod around, never wrecked or even had a ticket in, gosh, at least 15 years. Do you think $5500 is a fair number?

Thanks. I hate to see it go, but if I can get some $ towards another brand-new car, then that's one project I can check off the list, at least for now...
-Mark
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I'm afraid that the price guides are 'spot on' for your car in this instance. $4,000 sounds about right and even then, not an easy car to sell as you describe it, which is very commendable by the way. Honesty is always appreciated.
Why don't you spare someone else the heartache of buying a car that probably won't pass inspection in most states and just trade it in for whatever car you desire? Unless you can find a buyer that is a mechanic or someone very capable of doing their own repairs, trade that high mileage Z28 in. Let the dealer get the car in decent condition or whatever they want to do with it (auction, sell, their problem). Best of luck!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

For a mild comparison...a car local to me finally sold on ebay for $5500. It was a 02 Z28. Auto but loaded. TTOPS, leather. Stock except for LID and catback. car was an 8.5-9/10 but had a craxked upper dash. New tires. and only 74k miles. I sat on craigslist for almost a month at $6500 with no bites. He put it on Ebay with a but it now of $6k and someone offered him $5500 and he took it.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll see if I can trade it in or sell it, either way, I'll shoot for $5K. I'm getting a 2013 RS Tried the Charger - wife loved it, I thought it was OK, but then I tried the Camaro - like the man says, there's no comparison...

Quick Reply: 2000 Z28 138K one owner runs great