General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rear end noise doesnt change

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise doesnt change

hows it goin guys, I just bought a 1998 z28 with an auto trans 137xxx miles on it. first camaro Ive ever owned and I kno my way around cars. I'm getting a noise from the rear of the car, it sounds kind of like a hum or a grinding. the hard part of my problem is that the noise doesnt change at all from 5mph to 70mph, but theres no noise at a complete stop. it doesnt fade at all when I hit the breaks. I just did breaks and the wheel bearings feel good, the fluid is full. I jacked the rear of the car off the ground and put the car in drive and I couldnt tell where the sound is coming from even with me head right by the moving parts. I would think that if it was the rear end or the e-break that the sound would change atleast a little as the speed increases and decreases. I did a search and Im still kind of stumped.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks fellas!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe pull your rear cover and take a look.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

I'm gonna do that tomorrow morning and see what I find. Its weird that the sound doesnt change at all.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy an automotive stethoscope and run it again on the jack stands. This will help you figure out where its coming from. They are pretty cheap and I think you can get them at sears or other tool stores.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Teching In

today I took apart the rear end and replaced the bearings and seals, I noticed that one of the axels had a pretty rough spot on the surface area where the bearing rides so Im thinking that might be the noise Im hearing because everything else is the rear end looks good.

My new question is will the rear end out of a 94 Z28 with 3 channel ABS bolt right in with out any modifactions? I can get a really good deal on one with a locker and 3.73s

Quick Reply: rear end noise doesnt change