Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New brake job turns into a PITA, rusted pins.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brake job turns into a PITA, rusted pins.

Well spent 2 days getting ready to install my new brakemotive rotors and pad set on my '02 firehawk, i decided to clean and paint all my calipers and mounting brackets, spent hours cleaning and then painting everything real pretty, red calipers with black brackets, got ready to install everything back onto car and realized calipers would not slide over new rotors, come to find out the slide pins in the brackets were frozen solid with years of rust, Holy F !!! So i had to pull everything back off and spend an hour getting the old rusted pins out..... Now i gotta wait another day and get new pins and then Repaint the brackets.. Im sure that these rusted pins were part of my crappy stopping power, they were not moving at ALL.. Lesson learned , MAKE SURE everything is in good working order before reassembly!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

going through that same thing now on my brake swap. Got everything painted and nice and go to pull pins out and they are rusted stuck. How did you get yours out?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Default rusted pins

Originally Posted by 1993yellowbird
going through that same thing now on my brake swap. Got everything painted and nice and go to pull pins out and they are rusted stuck. How did you get yours out?
Well, since buying new brackets and slide pins only wasnt an option, i took the nicely painted brackets off the car and stuck them in a vice and sprayed penetrating lube on them, then put my biggest pair of vice grips on them and began to wiggle back and forth while adding more pen. lube til they freed up enough to pull out.. It took about an hour to do them all. then i sprayed more lube into the holes and ran the least damaged old pin up and down and turning it also til loose and free, now i just gotta clean them out and get some new pins from any auto parts store tomorrow and apply brake grease when reassembling.. What a pain, why some people dont lubricate these thing whenever doing a brake job is beyond me, these thing prolly havent worked right in years,, good luck just take your time, theyll come out eventually..
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^unfortunately it looks like things didn't go as smoothly as both of you wanted but the Brakemotive upgrade is a good deal. I recommend that when painting calipers, it's worthwhile to do a complete disassembly - that way you'll know that your brakes are in good working condition before you start painting. It's easier to paint the bracket when it's off anyway so you'll also get a better paint job.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Teching In

I took my brackets off but left pins in while painting to avoid getting paint in the holes. Didn't think that the pins would be stuck. The first one was perfectly fine, second one was rusted solid. I should have checked beforehand but I was painting the calipers as I was installing my tubular k member so I was partially distracted. I sprayed penetrating oil on them last night, I will do some more and hopefully they will loosen a little bit.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1993yellowbird
I took my brackets off but left pins in while painting to avoid getting paint in the holes. Didn't think that the pins would be stuck. The first one was perfectly fine, second one was rusted solid. I should have checked beforehand but I was painting the calipers as I was installing my tubular k member so I was partially distracted. I sprayed penetrating oil on them last night, I will do some more and hopefully they will loosen a little bit.
Exactly what i did, finally got new pins in and all greased up. Bled system and now about to go out and seat pads... Prolly the longest brake job in history, 3-days, LOL... Oh well it looks nice now and hopefully will stop a whole lot better!!!! still waiting on some "Pontiac" caliper decals to arrive so i can put them on the front calipers then clear spray over them.. Then ill post a pic when complete...
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

mine were really stuck, I wound up putting them in a vise and applied heat with one of those Cheapo torches and used Vise Grips to wiggle the pin out. I then took a drill bit by hand and went in and cleaned out the rust. Painted them and everything worked out fine for me.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1121
mine were really stuck, I wound up putting them in a vise and applied heat with one of those Cheapo torches and used Vise Grips to wiggle the pin out. I then took a drill bit by hand and went in and cleaned out the rust. Painted them and everything worked out fine for me.
Sounds like a pretty common problem with these brakes.. Just that added little extra to make a fairly simple job a pita!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol crazy! I went through the exact same thing a year ago. I'm still getting more brake dust on driver side tho, so i'm going to have to check that one again.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On my Trailblazer I had to yank the one pin out with a vise and a vise grip, then ream the bore out with a drill to break up the gunk and clean it out. Slide pins are such a pain sometimes.

Quick Reply: New brake job turns into a PITA, rusted pins.