Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

'77 Trans Am With 455 motor issues..need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '77 Trans Am With 455 motor issues..need help

All,
i finally bought a '77 trans am just like one my dad used to have, and im sourcing all the pieces i need for this LSX/T-56 swap i am going to do...
However in the mean time i have been trying to make the 455 in it work..

I got it two start three times and that was it...

Things i have done..
-Compression test. all cylinders at 130-150
-new starter
-new alternator
-new belts
-new water pump,
-new cap/rotor DEI/wires/plugs
-battery
-new oil (old oil had some gas it it)

The issue it has is that the motor turns over EXTREMELY slow, i only seem to have had enough juice to start it when i had it hooked up with jumper cables.
That was the only time i was able to get it running. When it did run i had to give it some gas, but any more than quarter throttle and it would start to flood out and then die.

The last time it ran when it was running i heard some sort of squeeking metal noise, and then the motor stopped.

I can barely get it to turn over now...
Any suggestions? I was just hoping to get this motor running to drive the car around while i get all my motor swap pieces together.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

-Chris
Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bigger battery and new big battery cables.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried to jump start it again since i put the new alternator on yesterday, and i can barely get it to turn over. The starter is trying but the compression is too much.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad ground. double check it and replace if needed. Check for the battery to block cable and the body to chassis ground. It sounds like the corrosion or connection is getting worse each time you try.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSXNV
Sounds like a bad ground. double check it and replace if needed. Check for the battery to block cable and the body to chassis ground. It sounds like the corrosion or connection is getting worse each time you try.
When i had the spark plugs out of the block and turning it over for the compression test..it seemed to turn over ok... but with the plugs in i can barely get the motor to turn over..

The last few times it did run, it barely ran and was making a squeeking noise and then just died. seems like something internally may be having a hard time spinning...

i was planning on check the rocker arms next. Then possibily the oil pump and timing chain.
... but i will check all the power connections again... However i believe them to be fine. It was the first thing on the car i had to fix when i got it.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the rockers- on a pontiac motor they are a set torque rating- non adjustable but the lifters will need to be full of oil to tighten

Mist likely it is the starter and cables. I do a lot of old pontiacs and they chew up starters cause they run hot.

Buy a Hi-torque mini starter and run '0' gauge cables for positive and neg- this cures the problem 90% of the time
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by HartAttack
The last time it ran when it was running i heard some sort of squeeking metal noise, and then the motor stopped.
I don't know about 'yall, but this statement makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Spun bearing?? You might take your belts off and spin your accessories to see if they are the source of this noise. If not, then that noise is more likely to be coming from the engine. Did you have oil pressure when it ran this last time? Is oil pressure building when it cranks?

If you are convinced that it is NOT a bearing or other internal engine problem, be sure you use a BIG battery w/ alot of CCAs. Even my low-compression '76 455 had a hard time turning over until I put in the biggest battery that would fit. You didn't mention what year the 455 was from, if it was a high compression '70 engine, the cables in that '77 TA may be under-sized for the task of delivering enough amps to turn over a high compression big cube engine.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 09-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the down side is the guages dont work...when i got the car it didn't have any power what so ever. I had to fix the wiring.. It's very small gauge electrical wiring for sure.

When i did get the car started i had jumper cables attached with a truck running. that helped get more power to turn it over. It started making a noise similar to my buddies Ls2 goat when the oil pump ate itself. Then the car shut off.

I took the plugs out, drained the oil. put fresh oil in. Didn't see any metal. But did smell gas.

I did a compression test, and the motor turned over fine without the plugs in. But once they are in i can barely get it to turn.

I changed the water pump because it was leaking, and put a new alternator on. Thinking this may have been partial to the problem. But that didn't fix anything.

I have no idea what year the motor came out of. I did verify its a 455 though.

I'll see if i can post the short video clip i have of the car running and dying to show you all..
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Unhook the fron accessories (take off the belts) and take out the plugs. Then try to spin the motor by hand with a breaker bar. Sounds to me like a spun bearing though...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

What cylinder heads are on there? There's a code on the middle 2 exhaust ports. All the 455's have flat top pistons unless changed by someone. If you have high compression that can be an issue. Make sure your rockers are adjusted properly too.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's flooding (you said it was), and turns over better without plugs....are the cylinders half full of gas when cranking?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the head code is 6191.
the gas i smelt was in the oil.
Also i was able to spin the crank by hand.. but barely. 1/4 inch at a time.

Last edited by HartAttack; 09-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

That head code doesn't sound familiar. Is that the code that's off the center 2 exhaust ports?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its just above the two center exhuast ports and to the right of that. the driver side head says 6191, and the passenger side head says 6141....weird...
Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a website that will show you where to find the codes they are looking for:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/head1.htm

Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Launching!

John Wallace has good info on his site- you can trust it is all accurate.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like you are running way too much advance... This happened to me when I first got into Pontiac V8's; they are very picky about ignition advance timing.
My Pontiac motors act the exact same way when I advance it too much.
A quick check would be to unplug the wire going to the distributor and then turn the engine over... if the engine turns over much more freely now you have your issue.

Quick Reply: '77 Trans Am With 455 motor issues..need help