Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is My Alternator Going Out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My Alternator Going Out?

For the past couple of days, my car has been starting rough, like the battery's low.

The battery gauge is reading a little less than half-way between 13 and 18.

When I got home today, I killed it then tried to restart it. It wouldn't start.

Do you think this is just my battery, or does it sound like my alternator may be going out? Thanks...
Old 03-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Is My Alternator Going Out?

get it started again. after its started pull the hot cable from the battery if the car continues running then its the battery if not then its the alternator.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
wrencher

Default Re: Is My Alternator Going Out?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 2FNbad:
<strong> get it started again. after its started pull the hot cable from the battery if the car continues running then its the battery if not then its the alternator. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is not a good idea on any vehicle with a PCM. The alternator is not a smooth power source & all pcm's are wired to use the battery as a sponge to absorb voltage spikes & low amounts of stray a/c voltage alternators produce. Doesn't take much to fry one either, seen it, jump starts ,static electricity & the poor man alternator test. Do it the right way have charging/starting system checked.