Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is it possible to get lower boost in 1st gear on auto?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it possible to get lower boost in 1st gear on auto?

Combating my traction problems I thought about decreasing boost in 1st gear (auto tranny). Is this somehow possible? I know PCM knows what gear is the tranny in, is it somehow possible to get that output to boost controller?
Or to retard timing in PCM itself maybe, although that would create a lot of boost and heat...
Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Combating my traction problems I thought about decreasing boost in 1st gear (auto tranny). Is this somehow possible? I know PCM knows what gear is the tranny in, is it somehow possible to get that output to boost controller?
Or to retard timing in PCM itself maybe, although that would create a lot of boost and heat...
Any ideas?
Solenoid A is grounded in 1st gear and 4th gear.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Any competent tuner should be able to set up a boost by gear for you. My buddy had a turbo rsx that was setup that way.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Your easiest way is to fit a solenoid into the boost control plumbing and arrange it so you only achieve wastegate pressure only with the solenoid energised

Although you'd need to figure how to ensure it only happened in 1st gear. Ive no idea whether the OEM ecu is capable of that or not.
Or you could just wire it to a simple push switch inside the car, say on the gearstick or something.
Just hold it down and low boost is enabled. Let go and it's normal
Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Any competent tuner should be able to set up a boost by gear for you. My buddy had a turbo rsx that was setup that way.
Your buddy has automatic RSX setup this way? Any more details?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Your easiest way is to fit a solenoid into the boost control plumbing and arrange it so you only achieve wastegate pressure only with the solenoid energised

Although you'd need to figure how to ensure it only happened in 1st gear. Ive no idea whether the OEM ecu is capable of that or not.
Or you could just wire it to a simple push switch inside the car, say on the gearstick or something.
Just hold it down and low boost is enabled. Let go and it's normal
Yes that's what I'm trying to figure - how to get electrical signal when tranny is in 1st gear. Push switch is fine but you can't really know when tranny switches into 2nd or back to 1st on bad track, so you may end in 2nd gear in low boost.
Also any solenoid will burn very fast if constantly engaged so it would be better to energize it in 1st gear only to bleed off some pressure, I guess
Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Which way?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use an op amp and then you should be able to have 0-5 volt outputs for each gear.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Like this....

Which way?
http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-2
Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Ams 1000.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Don't throw out stuff like you know what you're talking about. Your "buddy" doesn't have an auto rsx with boost by gear and your "buddy" also doesn't have an oem ecu either. You can't just tune for boost-by-gear with any ecu in the world
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow67
Solenoid A is grounded in 1st gear and 4th gear.
Here is your clue..you have what you need to decode first gear, for your boost controller.

I have boost by gear and it works!!!

but, I am running a Microsquirt on my 4l80, it talks(can bus) to the MS3, and the MS3 controls boost by gear.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doug118
Don't throw out stuff like you know what you're talking about. Your "buddy" doesn't have an auto rsx with boost by gear and your "buddy" also doesn't have an oem ecu either. You can't just tune for boost-by-gear with any ecu in the world
If he is using hondata K-Pro he does have boost by gear with the factory pcm. If wont control auto trans tho.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

Yes that's what I'm trying to figure - how to get electrical signal when tranny is in 1st gear. Push switch is fine but you can't really know when tranny switches into 2nd or back to 1st on bad track, so you may end in 2nd gear in low boost.
Also any solenoid will burn very fast if constantly engaged so it would be better to energize it in 1st gear only to bleed off some pressure, I guess
I'm sure there are cheap electronic circuits out there that would allow you to create a simple off/on switch based on a pulsed speed input.
That way you could easily have a boost reduction below say 30mph, or whatever speed.

Is there anything on the car to indicate what gear is currently selected ?

Something like this would do for starters. Then use a simple solenoid on the boost control system so you only see w/g pressure

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Frequ...0/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/search/inde...switch&x=0&y=0

http://autospeed.com/cms/search/inde...switch&x=0&y=0

or possibly one or two of the switches. ie, above 4000rpm and below 40mph activates low boost. That way it would only ever come on in 1st gear ( obviously you need to define the parameters )
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn some of you guys rock. I asked some tips so I could use MY boost controller and you suggest me OTHER boost controllers that would cost me $1000 and still don't do what I want )) Specifically - boost by gear with auto tranny
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by atomic 6
Here is your clue..you have what you need to decode first gear, for your boost controller.
it seems so BUT this boost-controller changes between Hi/Lo boost modes when it's pins are shorted momentarily, so I need to solve this electric puzzle now

stevieturbo, yes, thought of getting frequency signal from front ABS sensor, but still it's not very accurate since tranny can shift early for instance and I'll be in low boost in high gear
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Use an op amp and then you should be able to have 0-5 volt outputs for each gear.
I don't understand that "op amp" part I'm afraid... what do you mean?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM
9 Second Club

it seems so BUT this boost-controller changes between Hi/Lo boost modes when it's pins are shorted momentarily, so I need to solve this electric puzzle now

stevieturbo, yes, thought of getting frequency signal from front ABS sensor, but still it's not very accurate since tranny can shift early for instance and I'll be in low boost in high gear
That's why I suggested using 2 inputs. rpm and speed to control any trigger.

Cant the factory ecu do anything like this ? As I said, is there any sort of visual indicator to tell you what gear you are in as some modern setups can have ?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

I guess I should clarify, my friend's car was a stick and he was running hondata and all that jazz. Sorry for leading anyone the wrong direction. He did have boost by gear though. If I remember right 1st and 2nd were like 4 or 5 pounds 3rd was 8ish and then 4-6 were the full 12. It wasn't a crazy setup by any means since he was on a stock block and internals. He got rid of that car a few years ago and just has a stock s2k now. He got tired of fixing stuff all the time.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand that "op amp" part I'm afraid... what do you mean?
As long as your controller can take a 0-5 volt input (like the AMS-1000) for different boost stages then you can basically set it up as boost by gear with an op amp.
Attached Thumbnails Is it possible to get lower boost in 1st gear on auto?-gearindicatorideasa.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it possible to get lower boost in 1st gear on auto?