General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Compressor Blowoff Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AC Compressor Blowoff Valve?

I had my AC pressure sensor in my 2010 Camaro unplugged...I was using the input for my wideband while tuning and shouldn't have turned the AC on...forgot all about it until it blew the valve open and shot most (all?) of the refrigerant out.

Does anyone know if that valve is self resetting? Can it be replaced? Do I have to replace the entire compressor?

I know what caused it to blow, and thus I also know how to avoid letting that happen again, I just want to take the most cost effective path to getting the car to make cold air again (yes the pressure sensor is already plugged back in).
Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

...I'm assuming there is a blowoff valve on the GM compressors too...for all I know a gasket where the hoses bolt on let go, I haven't gotten that far into it yet...all I know is all the refrigerant is on the engine mount and the ground.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the pop off valve allowed the excess pressure out. It is self-resetting. Just refill and you're good to go. Just don't run the AC with the WB signal piped through it.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome...next time I will see my own car is going to be in 10 days or something (stupid career...making me travel), but I'm glad to know it'll be an easy fix.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Blowoff Valve?