Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Brakes on a 71 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Brakes on a 71 Nova

I have searched around most of the Nova swap threads and couldn't seem to find an answer to my question, which is as follows. How much do I have to grind off the Nova hub in order for the LS rotor to fit properly and what type of brake lines are people running, with or without a proportioning valve? Am I going to have to run a 16" front tire now with these new brakes?

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess nobody in here as done an LS brake swap on their Nova?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

PM sent....

T,
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy.. just can't wait for people to get off of work and back from the long weekend .. can you..!

Well.. there are many threads on Pro-Touring.com on using LS1 brakes on Early GM Cars...

You have to machine less than .250" not sure how much I took off. I just had it machined down till it fit inside the Rotor.

You can run anything you want.. stock OEM rubber lines or Teflon lined Stainless Steel braided hose. You can buy aftermarket ones or have them made to your specs.

Yes you should be running a correctly matched master and proportioning valve for your Disk/Disk setup. Adding an Adjustable Valve will help fine tune the system.

Yes you will have to run 16" or larger wheel for the front. I have tried 15" disk brake wheels, but no go.. so my project is setting on the front wheel/tires with out the Caliper, once I get some wheels, I finish the front install...

I think some have been able to clear the rears with 15" disk brake wheels. I am about to get my rear end back and install it later this week or next.. then I will be trying different setup of the brakes to see what works in the rear (spacing, left/right, two left's, Two Rights, etc).

If you have stagered shock.. you will have a problem on the Right side shock and e-brake/caliper.

BC
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are LS brakes? I thought a LS1 was an engine type. I don't know GM stuff very well so am trying to learn. Did GM use the same brakes on every vehicle they installed the LS1 engine in?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
Boy.. just can't wait for people to get off of work and back from the long weekend .. can you..!
Well I figured after a 24 hour period without so much of a **** you, I'd go ahead and throw it up to the top but oddly enough I got these three responses. I doubt there's a bunch of folks searching the back pages of the conversion thread just hoping someone needs help with their disc brake upgrade, but I do appreciate the info you posted after this. Didn't even know of the pro-touring.com website so that'll be a big help for future questions I may have, thanks again!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What are LS brakes? I thought a LS1 was an engine type. I don't know GM stuff very well so am trying to learn. Did GM use the same brakes on every vehicle they installed the LS1 engine in?
Sorry I guess I should have been more politically correct in my statement and said "f body", so thanks for pointing that out but I'm guessing that most people understood my oversight.

Originally Posted by TomM
PM sent....

T,
Thanks so much for the info you shared and I appreciate you taking the time to send me the PM!

-Mike
Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a LS1 out of a 2003 Corvette into a replica of a 1965 Shelby so I was not thinking F body. Thanks for the explanation on the slang. I had seen the term used before and could not figure out what it meant. Now I know.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have started to export mocking up the 4th Gen F-body LS1 brakes on my 71 Nova.. starting at Post #159
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls1-a4-8.html

You can follow along and comment if you want.. right now, I will be looking for a way to get a hold of a Left Side setup before I can continue.

Here is another thread that I researched a while back as what i am using as a base for my install.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161383

BC

Last edited by bczee; 09-08-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: LS Brakes on a 71 Nova