Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Build thread with a 5.3L turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build thread with a 5.3L turbo

Hey guys. First off Im going to building a 00 Hawk and wanna know a few things first. Engine has 706 heads if that helps?

First is will a stock 5.3 oil pan fit with 0 issues on a tube k member?

Next is I need to know what pumps, feed and return lines for e85 to a ls6 intake?

Also im putting in a turbo cam and want to convert the front timing cover to have the crank sensor in front. What is needed for this conversion? Everything including gaskets if needed!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone to help?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

im guessing no one posted because its stuff people ask alot and is found pretty easily on a search?

ill take some stabs
i bet a truck pan is too low in a Fbody, but i have no idea. (its a deep sombitch though)

next up fuel pumps, well dude, depending on your horsepower goal you might need a variety of fuel pumps and feeds. you said E85 so, you are going to need roughly double the amount of fuel gasoline dudes need. keep that in mind.

twin 255s on gasoline and a -6 (3/8ths hose) returning on the stock feed seems to get people well into the 650rwhp range... on gasline, possibly even 700? im not too familiar with that setup.

front cover conversion, super easy.

are you using a 24x motor or a 58x? you can use a ls2 corvette front cover i belive or a 2008 truck cover, you just have to make sure its not a VVT cover, they are deeper to fit the VVT gear.

for a 24tooth motor you need a 1x cam gear
and for a 58tooth motor you need a 4x event cam gear.

depending on what you are using to control the engine you will also need to swap the outside wires on the cam pickup sensor wiring.

what kind of hp goal do you have, automatic (lockup or unlocked 400?) or manual trans?
what cam are you going to use?

you can call a place like pace performance and say hey i want a LS9 cam, front cover, and sensor, and a cam gear for my car and they can get you everything.

scogg and dickey too, and probably LPE, and speed inc, probably 30 places, including a chevy dealer can get it all.

the timing cover is the same, itll bolt on any gen3-4 motor without issue.

Quick Reply: Build thread with a 5.3L turbo