General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Restoration without a Garage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Restoration without a Garage?

Hi all,

My new acquisition, a 1999 SS Camaro 5.7L Gen III V8 (LS1) mated to a BW T56 transmission, is in need of an overhaul. My problem you ask? I have no garage !! Up here in NY we see some serious weather extremes and fall/winter is approaching! Does anyone out there have a success story for a garageless-resto? Im looking into getting a HD Shelter Logic tent but thats really my only option any thoughts?

FYI, this is not my DD and therefore can be laid up for a while, ideally i would do a soup to nuts restoration and finance permitting be done this time next year (2013) for the car show in Lake George NY.

Thanks for your input !

-Phil
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Being up north that seems like a hard task because of cold weather LOL

Id get the tent, make sure you have a complete tool set, and work on it when time/weather permits...

I know the feeling as Ive lived in a few apartments and man it sucks. It sucks bad, honestly id go to a buddies to change my oil.

But it sounds like you have space and determination. Id go ahead with it. Im the type to do everything myself but you could sub some of the work out that would take quite a bit of time to do.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks BD1987! I do have the space (about an acre) and tools. Its positive encouragement from folks like you that will provide the determination ! To add to the above, if anyone has made some other temporary shelters for their work id be glad to hear!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet is get the tent w/ the sides and a nice propane space heater. I have done motor jobs when it was in the teens and single digits and it was no fun !
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldnt really call a 99 a resto. idk just my 2 cents restos are 20+year old cars. although having lived up in CT for some time growing up honestly i wouldnt do it man. yes you could get the shelter but they arnt weather proof and the car will still see some damaging weather depending on whats ripped out of it. honestly it depends on the situation. if you can get a complete walled shelter on all sides with ample space then yea i suppose its possible. but if its just a tent and not much room for space my concern would be rust on on the motor and tranny when they are out if they are kept outside. just look into what you can do and decide from there. dont want to pull the trigger and have problems halfway through.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Launching!

buy a metal carport thingy and add steel paneling to the sides... leave the front open or half open and then take the 1in or 2 inch thick foam from lowes and screw it to your walls, then mount your space heater or whatever your gonna use...

make sure to put the structure in some concrete footers tho...
Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

My friend did this back when we were in high school with an older chevy pick up. The nice part was there was enough gaps in his tent/carport (had the sides on it too) that the fumes from the space heater would get out but keep it toasty. He strung up a bunch of lights which helped too. Things to watch out for if you go this route, make sure it's not facing the wind, use the house to block it or it can get bad. If you do get snow, be prepared for it trying to blow in and making a mess of your floor when it tries to melt at all. Lay down something as a floor, but if you're doing this in the grass, remember you're going to be fighting frost. Good luck with it if you go for it!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would at least pour a concrete floor. See if you can work a deal with a concrete finisher and then get a bunch of friends to help with the grunt work.
Nothing harder then working off dirt.
I would then look at a way to get the car in the air and have it supported safely. You are going to want enough room to get under to pull the trans and rear end.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
buy a metal carport thingy and add steel paneling to the sides... leave the front open or half open and then take the 1in or 2 inch thick foam from lowes and screw it to your walls, then mount your space heater or whatever your gonna use...

make sure to put the structure in some concrete footers tho...
+1 for the carport idea! The tents are kinda pricey for what they are. I think you could do it but you'll need to make sure you have a space heater and maybe some wood to lay on to keep you off the cold ground. I've had to work on my car like this several times when it was freezing, really sucks but life goes on. Make sure you got a couple buddies willing to help to, that'll speed things up.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually Tremec started making the T56 in 1998.

If you've got an acre of land, I say you should hold off on the car project and save money to build a garage instead. Since it is NY, you will want a place to store the car after you've restored it, right? A garage with a wood stove sounds nice.

Unless of course you're renting, then it's a different story. But if you own this property then a garage would be nice to have and you would get the money back if you ever had to sell the house.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Carport! Put it on your driveway if you can and build some walls and add a heater!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Launching!

You know maybe i`ll take a stab at this from another angle. I know a couple of friends that used large storage unit like at Uhaul or a place like that. Would that be a good idea? That way, you will have a way to lock it up and all without anyone messing with it. Just an idea....
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know down where i live, storage units have a cut off by 7 for people being allowed to open the gates to get in.. or out. Lol so that would suck for those late nights after work!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
You know maybe i`ll take a stab at this from another angle. I know a couple of friends that used large storage unit like at Uhaul or a place like that. Would that be a good idea? That way, you will have a way to lock it up and all without anyone messing with it. Just an idea....
Thats what im doing at the moment, its a 10x40 climate controlled and its kinda pricey, but its a place to store the car/work on it with security. Just make sure you can find one with electricity and lighting.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Teching In

I explored the rental option but no places by me allow you to store cars forget work on them. I'm pretty set on the shelter logic garage and I will keep my winter activities limited to tear down mostly. Once I get the motor out next weekend I can work on that in my basement.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pbeyer2010
I explored the rental option but no places by me allow you to store cars forget work on them. I'm pretty set on the shelter logic garage and I will keep my winter activities limited to tear down mostly. Once I get the motor out next weekend I can work on that in my basement.

I had to go to several locations to find one that'd allow me to work on my car. They only asked that i lay down a tarp or something to keep the floor clean. I think you'll be fine with the shelter logic and working on it when the conditions allow. Good luck on your project.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a shelter you can a storage container, no room to work on the car but it will be a secure place to keep it. I don't know what they are now but about 10 years ago you could get one for about $1500

Quick Reply: Restoration without a Garage?