Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust system damaged at car wash!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust system damaged at car wash!! Help!!

So I was at the local car wash which I have actually never been to before but found them to be close to the house so I tried them out. I have a 2004 GTO with Spintech side exit dual exhausts that normally sit about an inch before the end of the side skirt. I always go to another car wash a few miles further down the road since that's the one my folks always go to, and their machines always go right under my exhaust with no issue. So I get to this other place, and they have me get out of the car and they drive the car in the car wash and I wait for my car out on the benches outside...the next day I notice a strange sound coming from my exhaust. I look at them and the left side is significantly pulled back, almost hitting the tire, and upwards towards the side skirt, unlike the right side which remains intact. I have a statement from my bank which shows the purchase of the wash, and the only way that would happen in most cases is by a car wash...I'm thinking if I go back they'll try to say oh "we didn't do that" or "oh that could have happened from you hopping a curb" or some other excuse, even though I am 100% sure it was from the wash. I'm considering getting another wash and pointing it out then like as if it happened then but I don't even know if they will budge then and I don't want to cause further damage or give them anymore of my business...any ideas on what I can do and if I am able to get any sort of compensation out of this?!?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Doubt they will do anything especially since you have aftermarket exhaust on the car. Personally I would not bother with them and fix it myself and not go there again
Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

No offense bud.....but you are a fool for taking your nice car through a shitty automated car wash. This should teach you to wash your car at home! Those car washes scratch the **** out of your car and leave horrible swirl marks.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Same thing happened to a buddys gto and they paid every dime to fix it when he confronted them. not saying the same will happen in your case, depends how big of a chain the company is.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost every single car wash I've seen shows a disclaimer before you enter. Stating something like, we take no responsibility in damage to you vehicle, included all after market hoods, spoilers, antennas, ect...

Can you try and go after them, sure. But are you most likely wasting time, yes.

I know of a local situation in which a guy parked his car in a grocery store parking lot. Somehow a cart was dislodged from the cart corral, and banged into his car. Well, he later found out it was because the corral was sitting at an angle on a incline. He even made a video of how easy it was for the carts to come out of the corral and cruse through the parking lot. There was also an issue with the corral. Something with the bars that hold the carts back was broken.

He fought with them for months, with absolutely no success. One of those things like enter, park or use at your own risk.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Yeah I normally don't go thru the drive thru but someone did a hit and run on my front end so insurance is yet to pay out and the cost to repaint the entire vehicle and replace the damaged parts at a family friend's shop are about what insurance is willing to pay out on just the repairs alone at the shop of their choice PLUS my deductible! What a joke! Thank god they always estimate a lot higher so I can get the cash and run
Only downside to this is I might not be able to sell this exhaust if I cant form it back to shape. I was going to switch back to oem anyways so no biggie, I'm just hoping I can get them to pay out something. I will keep everyone posted as the days go on, and thanks for all the supportive comments

Quick Reply: Exhaust system damaged at car wash!! Help!!