Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Qa-1 rebuild, diy or send it out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Qa-1 rebuild, diy or send it out?

I know everyone will say just get koni's, but thats not in the budget right now and i kinda like the QA-1's... The pass. side is leaking and the drivers side isnt far from it, so I will be pulling them both to rebuild them. For those who have done this job, is it easy enough to do or will i spend more time and money on equipment than sending them out to be done? any input is appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
I know everyone will say just get koni's, but thats not in the budget right now and i kinda like the QA-1's... The pass. side is leaking and the drivers side isnt far from it, so I will be pulling them both to rebuild them. For those who have done this job, is it easy enough to do or will i spend more time and money on equipment than sending them out to be done? any input is appreciated.
If you're just drag racing I don't see why anyone would tell you to get konis (they are a handling shock, QA1s are drag shocks, polar opposites and will ride/feel/handle/launch totally different).
If you want a good handling/riding car then you bought the wrong shock in the first place and a rebuild will only be a waste of time/money.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Qa-1 makes a road shock (hesitant to put racing in the name) witch is what I have. I've ridden in an fbody with koni's all around and just don't think I need them. I don't race in any way so Performance wise the qa-1 is fine for me, and the control over ride height is a huge plus.

So, any insight on rebuilding them... DIY or ship them out?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
Qa-1 makes a road shock (hesitant to put racing in the name) witch is what I have. I've ridden in an fbody with koni's all around and just don't think I need them. I don't race in any way so Performance wise the qa-1 is fine for me, and the control over ride height is a huge plus.
Unless something has changed, the ones they make for our cars are drag shocks (non-gas charged and valved for weight transfer) no matter what their marketing department tried to type up.
You can get ground control sleeves for our type of shock if you want height adjust ability.

So, any insight on rebuilding them... DIY or ship them out?
Never heard of anyone rebuilding them themselves, you will likely have to send them out. Contact the vendor you bought them from and they should know where to send em.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my front coil overs gone through and changed to "R"s.. I had a shop in California do it, $125 I believe.. I have the receipt, if you want the company info PM me, I doubt they are sponsors.. For what it is worth, I had mine done over 4 years ago and they have worked great..
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a company online that will do for $77. PM for them.

Quick Reply: Qa-1 rebuild, diy or send it out?