Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

PRC 285s or 265s?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRC 285s or 265s?

I've got a 07 Z06 that's a daily driver that I bought new. It now has 87K miles on it. The warranty's now expired and I'm a bit paranoid about the exhaust valve drop problem that's plaqued the LS7 since it's birth.

So... It's time to take care of the valve issue and step on it a bit at the same time. As of now, pending a leak-down test and a "heads off" cylinder inspection, I intend on keeping it N/A. Asssuming a good bottom end I intend on doing heads, FAST 102, Nick Williams 102 TB and a cam swap. With all the problems surrounding the OEM heads I intend on using new heads. R&R-ing the stock heads isn't an option, IMO. The factory (uncoated) titanium intake valve are not compatable with Bronze/manganese guides as they're not coated and will wear them out prematurely. It you add the price of new titanium intakes to the cost of head refurishment you're knocking at the door of new heads costs. So, I'm going with new heads.

Here's my quandry... TSP recommends the 265s for a N/A stock stroke 427 build. But... depending on the bottom end, I may go boosted or stroked. My question is, will the 285s work OK with the stock stroke N/A build or do I HAVE TOO go with the 265s? I'm going to buy the heads in advance of everything else. I don't want to get stuck with too small heads if I end up going stroked or boosted.

Everyone's thoughts???
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

I dont see why you wouldnt just let TSP port your heads and just replace the exhaust valves with new ones. Also new springs etc. Best bang for the buck.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX-coupe
I dont see why you wouldnt just let TSP port your heads and just replace the exhaust valves with new ones. Also new springs etc. Best bang for the buck.
It's not just the exhaust valves but the Ti intakes too that require replacement. The stems on the factory intakes are not compatable with bronze guides. The will wear the guides rapidly. If you add the price of new intakes, +/- $1100, then new heads are as cheap as an OEM head refurb.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the price difference? 285's might make your low end power suffer some on the Stock cubes and make it a little harder to tune, but I don't see it being a horrible problem if any at all.

If the price difference is significant, get the 265's and later on have them opened up to 285's if that need arises.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Teching In

I just talked to Manley, who custom makes the titanium intake valves for the PRC 285s and 265s. They said their Ti intake valves are intended for racing only and WILL NOT last on the street. They said to get the Ti intakes to last on the street then the valve heads need to be DEL coated, as well as coating the valve stems (which they do). They do sometimes apply that coating to the heads of their custom valves. They didn't know if TSP's custom Ti valves had that done.

Does anyone with the Ti intake PRCs know if the intake valve heads are coated? I talked to TSP and they didn't know. I guess this would apply to all the aftermarket heads with titanium intake valves.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you need titanium intake valves? If not you can order the prc heads with hollow intakes and stainless exhaust.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of the titanium valves we use for the LS7 heads are coated.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
All of the titanium valves we use for the LS7 heads are coated.
Matt, great just talking with you. I'd like to thank you and TSP for your most excellent customer service!! It'll be great doing business with you guys on this order...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice chatting with you, too!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

So if you had a choice Matt which would you do PRC 265s with the ti valves/SS exhaust or reworking the stock heads with tumble polished ti valves/SS exhaust which would you do?
Stock motor just bolt ons with a baby cam in the future
Old 09-08-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
So if you had a choice Matt which would you do PRC 265s with the ti valves/SS exhaust or reworking the stock heads with tumble polished ti valves/SS exhaust which would you do?
Stock motor just bolt ons with a baby cam in the future
I am betting he'd say if the budget allows it, go PRC aftermarket castings.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by undy
It's not just the exhaust valves but the Ti intakes too that require replacement. The stems on the factory intakes are not compatable with bronze guides. The will wear the guides rapidly. If you add the price of new intakes, +/- $1100, then new heads are as cheap as an OEM head refurb.
If you're going to replace the OEM heads, what are your plans for them, after replacement?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If you're going to replace the OEM heads, what are your plans for them, after replacement?
I'll probably end up selling them... When I do I'll post the here in the F/S section.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

updates?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by obZidian
updates?
It could be as late as January before The actual work's done. It depends if I do it myself (January) or I sub it out (sooner). With two on-going carreers "space available" is hard to find...

I was waiting until GM makes a statement on the boards before I buy the heads and final stuff (I know, pie in the sky hopes...).

Quick Reply: PRC 285s or 265s?