Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

refinishing aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question refinishing aluminum wheels

I have a 2002 silverado and i want to refinish my stock aluminum wheels they are corroded bad so i took aircraft stripper and stripped the clear off now i am down to the corrosion now but there is alot. I am wonderig the best way to get rid of the corrosion i dont want to damage the finish otherwise i just wanted to get rid of the corrosion and reclear the wheels. i assume its gonna take a lot of elbow grease but im unsure of what sandpaper or steel wool to use also i have wheel acid cleaner that is sold by eagle car care products and it is very corrosive and i tried that on a small spot with 00 steel wool and it seemed to work good but i want to make sure in going about this correctly. Thanks kevin
Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say pick up a better looking set of stock wheels off craigslist for less than $100 and be done with it.

Pictures would be helpful too. I'm thinking you're going to have to sand off the bad parts and polish it back to what it should look like. Hope you have a dremel or a drill with all the little sanding and polishing heads. Don't go 80 grit sandpaper, get some real fine like 800 grit and wetsand it. If it isn't cutting the mustard, go down to a rougher grit, but the more you mess it up sanding the more you have to fix it polishing if you get what I am saying.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't get a set for under $100 on Craigslist I've looked for a year now and no wheels under $300

Quick Reply: refinishing aluminum wheels