Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ca Legal 4.8L/5.3L Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ca Legal 4.8L/5.3L Swap

I'm in the planning stages of a lsx swap into my Rock crawler and having issues figuring out the legality issues in CA. Before you send me to the CA DMV and BAR websites I have checked them and not found the answer. I have put multiple calls into the Referee office and no one calls back or has an answer.

So here is my question:

Vehicle
85 toyota pickup
NV4500 5speed transmission
np241 to Np205 doubler transfercase
dana60/14bolt axles with 5.38 gears

I can't find anywhere that says one way or another on if you can swap an engine that was in an automatic transmission configuration into a vehicle with a manual configuration. The 5.3L never came with a manual to this leaves me with the 4.8L.

Everyone says go with the 5.3 over the 4.8 due to the increased low end torque/additional hp. I have also read how it is pretty difficult to tell a 4.8L from a 5.3 (externally). Is the ref going to have any idea that it is a 5.3 not a 4.8 if i tell him its a 4.8? I can swap all the 5.3 tables into a 4.8l tune.

Or is the torque/power difference not as noticeable as it is made out to be? I do have alot of gearing which should make up for a the lower torque of the 4.8L.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Teching In

The law says that you have to use the same style transmission. In the U.S., the 5.3 didn't come mated to a manual transmission. That being said, I've got a CA legal 5.3L mated to a 5-speed H55F toyota tranny and got my CARB sticker. The ref never said anything about it...and neither did I.

So, you can take your chances. It seems that each referee is willing to let different things pass.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by superdylan
The law says that you have to use the same style transmission. In the U.S., the 5.3 didn't come mated to a manual transmission. That being said, I've got a CA legal 5.3L mated to a 5-speed H55F toyota tranny and got my CARB sticker. The ref never said anything about it...and neither did I.

So, you can take your chances. It seems that each referee is willing to let different things pass.
My Jimmy sticker says to smog it as a camaro.
What's your sticker say to smog your LC as?

It would be much easier for me to swap in an iron 6.0 than a GTO or vette setup in my truck.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine looked at a couple of weeks ago. i have a 79c10 with a 01 5.3/ 4l60e. he looked at everything to make sure my vacuum lines and evap were good to go. he hit me on not having the evap vent valve and fuel tank pressure sensor installed but still put a sticker on it and told me it was a clean swap. I went to a community college so it was free and the guy was really nice.
I used Hp tuners for the smog test......that was fun. i failed a couple of times for emissions tests not being complete. I went around the corner and turned them all off and then reran and passed. its almost too easy since they tell you how you failed you just go an change ****. i turned the fuel down some and gave it more timing and it passed like a champ. i also have a z06 cam so i was surprised it even passed.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mtrhd329
I had mine looked at a couple of weeks ago. i have a 79c10 with a 01 5.3/ 4l60e. he looked at everything to make sure my vacuum lines and evap were good to go. he hit me on not having the evap vent valve and fuel tank pressure sensor installed but still put a sticker on it and told me it was a clean swap. I went to a community college so it was free and the guy was really nice.
I used Hp tuners for the smog test......that was fun. i failed a couple of times for emissions tests not being complete. I went around the corner and turned them all off and then reran and passed. its almost too easy since they tell you how you failed you just go an change ****. i turned the fuel down some and gave it more timing and it passed like a champ. i also have a z06 cam so i was surprised it even passed.

which ref/cc did you go to? you can tell me in m if you want. im trying to ref my bmw.

Quick Reply: Ca Legal 4.8L/5.3L Swap