General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 acting up. Fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 acting up. Fuel issue?

Hey guys, so my LS1 has about 85-90k on it, and about 20k ago I did a full tune up, and did not replace the injectors. It has always ran like a champ. Mods are intake, exhaust and a dyno tune, 6spd tranny with a Centerforce clutch. Lately, from a stop, or on the highway, if I give it more than 50% throttle, the engine bogs down, power seems to be cut in half and the exhaust tones become very low in volume (true shake w/ no mufflers). This will last for maybe 2-3 seconds, then it'll wake back up. My MPG has also decreased. But I have almost no passing power, I can't take off hard from a dig, and the car has lost its...pep. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this also?

Thanks for your time, guys.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

***true dual exhaust, not true shake.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smells like a K&N Filter and a MAF that needs cleaning. Or maybe the intake slipped off the throttle body.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't checked the MAF. Filter is fine, so ill look tonight. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil on K&N filters doesn't agree with the MAF. The oil comes off it and covers the wires.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's not exactly true. K&N did extensive testing and they posted all of their tests and results on their website. I've used them for 10 years on my car and have definitely over oiled in the past and never had any issues. I also worked for an aftermarket company that used K&N on all of their intakes and we never had issues with them. Plus I haven't oiled my filter in over a year.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From discussing the issues with a friend of mine who is active in the FI section here, he said it sounds like a dying fuel pump. Opinions?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Smells like a K&N Filter and a MAF that needs cleaning. Or maybe the intake slipped off the throttle body.
I smell it, too...

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
That's not exactly true. K&N did extensive testing and they posted all of their tests and results on their website. I've used them for 10 years on my car and have definitely over oiled in the past and never had any issues. I also worked for an aftermarket company that used K&N on all of their intakes and we never had issues with them. Plus I haven't oiled my filter in over a year.
I read the propaganda that they post on their web site, too. I also believed it at first but saw the light as I was scrubbing down my MAF with a Q-tip. (BTW - I don't recommend others do that and would suggest using just the specialized cleaner.) The bottom line is there is no other source of contamination with this problem and the air filters are holding a smoking gun. The oil also takes years to build up, so its easy to see why K&N can't recreate the problem in a lab and why you ran for 10 years w/o problem. (I ran for 7 before it hit me.)

From discussing the issues with a friend of mine who is active in the FI section here, he said it sounds like a dying fuel pump. Opinions?
Could be. Could be a lot of other things, also. IMO - Its best to start with a $4.50 can of MAF cleaner before getting in to the other, more expensive stuff.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, you sound like OptimaJim. If you're gonna try to feed us horsecock, at least get a paycheck out of it.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
The oil also takes years to build up, so its easy to see why K&N can't recreate the problem in a lab and why you ran for 10 years w/o problem. (I ran for 7 before it hit me.)
I had problems after about 4 months. Cleaned my MAF and the SES went away.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I've solved the issue. Was it a MAF/K&N oil issue?? Drum roll...nope! Turns out my throttle body bolts were slightly loose and air was being sucked in. The MAF is perfectly fine, and I'll continue to oil my filter. How is that for horsecock?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Well, it was in the same general area as the MAF! Same effect - air sneaking by the sensor unnoticed.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But the principal is, "no oil" lol
Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Save the manuals!

But the principal is, "no oil" lol
It may not have been the full issue, but its hard to say cleaning the MAF didn't help, also. No doubt K&N has more successful installations than bad ones, but for the folks bit by the oil shedding problem - its not pretty.

I'm still not sure there is a strong case to use the filters on cars that don't race, particularly with the downsides. Maybe the shedding oil is what caused the OP's bolts to come loose???
Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately, the loose bolts were caused by installation error, ie, me haha. Plus the bolts are exterior from the MAF, so they wouldn't be affected. My main annoyance with this thread was due to the unnecessary attitude and lack of help. That doesn't include you, you've been fine.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately, the loose bolts were caused by installation error, ie, me haha. Plus the bolts are exterior from the MAF, so they wouldn't be affected. My main annoyance with this thread was due to the unnecessary attitude and lack of help. That doesn't include you, you've been fine.
Yup. NO help at all, even though we were giving you suggestions as to what "COULD" be the problem.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not gonna keep this thread bumped because of arguing, but when you accuse me of feeding you "horsecock" and saying that I apparently sound like another member that I don't know, and insist that your oil theory is God's word, then yea, not very helpful. But thanks for your time anyhow.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Save the manuals!

My main annoyance with this thread was due to the unnecessary attitude and lack of help.
Yea, MAF/lean issues tend to be passionate ones. I try to stay as objective as I can given my personal history with an oiled air filter.

It could be worse. We could be talking about "which motor oil is better" or why GM should be offering a 20 year warranty on their cars. Those are always fun.

I'm glad you are running strong again. Being lean is no way to go through life.

Quick Reply: LS1 acting up. Fuel issue?