Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torquer v3 cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torquer v3 cam

i want to start by saying i am sorry for having to ask this but my search bar isnt working.
so my question is what are supporting mods for a torquer v3 cam?
i know i need heads so will trick flow 215s do and do i need push rods? oil pump?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

you will pretty much want to upgrade the entire valvetrain (pushrods, rockers, valve springs, heads)

If you are looking to maximize potential then you will want an intake manifold/tb and headers/exhaust as well..

But now that you've added all this amazing power, you will want to upgrade the fuel system to match.. injectors at a minimum and a fuel pump as well to be safe..

You could even go as far as saying that gears and a stall converter are a must to supprt a v3 cam setup

During a cam/head swap most people upgrade the oil pump as well

and of course the most important part.. A TUNE!

it may seem like a lot but you gotta pay to play and you will be more than satisfied with the results
Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM

well crap. im a college student with a low paying job so is there a cheaper cam that doesnt require all those upgrades but will still get me at least 350+hp?
or should i just take this step by step and upgrade 1 at a time?

Last edited by KCstreetracing; 09-09-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I look at it is do the mods that will provide a good base for a cam first. Like intake, headers, exhaust, etc first. If your car is an auto you will need to upgrade the converter, which is a must. When you get ready to do the cam what would be necessary for a proper job would be push rods, valve springs, lifters, (some people don’t do them but I like to for piece of mind.) Also a new oil pump and timing set will be needed. It’s a lot of money and time, so I suggest starting with the easy mods and working your way up building a good base for the more involved modifications like a cam or heads etc.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 AM

alright thanks for the info..hopefully i can get it cammed by the end of college
Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get a good cam pkg,cam ,spring ,push rods from vengeance racing or Texas Speed for $600.trick flow heads have bronze guides which work best with roller rockers.TSP heads can use stock GM rockers.some stock 243/799 heads will make good power .maybe get a ls2 timing chain and a cam swap gasket kit.you can get a mail order tune for $150.you will need a good stall if you have a A4.what do you have for Exhaust ?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

350+ whp is VERY easily attainble without a cam. It is done every day with bolt-ons alone. LT headers, a good flowing intake manifold/tb (LS6 or maybe a FAST 90 or 92 to compliment a cam in the future), exhaust, UD pulleys, stall etc.. wrap it up with a tune and youre at your goal no problem. Whats even better is that most bolt-ons are supporting mods for a cam swap.

If you're set on getting a cam (maybe you want the lope or maybe you have another reason) then you might want to look at something in the 224/224 range. Cams in this range are great for daily driving and don't require much valvetrain upgrades. There are a million cam choices out there for different purposes and doing some searching on this site will get you the answers you are looking for. My suggestion is to do bolt-ons first and enjoy the power while you save up for a reliable build. Do it right the first time and don't cheap out or cut corners.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a GM ASA ,or hot cam will make that power .a tr224 cam at 114 lsa will work with a stock converter.get new springs and harden push rods,never cut corners with the valve train.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 PM

i have a manual and right now. i have straight pipes which are getting changed asap. im interested in the cam packages i will look into that. im interested in cams for sound really the power is just a bonus to me.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Precision Race Components Stg. 1 LS6 Heads & Cam Package from texas speed is $1,700 + oil pump and timing chain. would this be good? i would use the factory ls6 valve springs, texas speed 220r camshafts, choyes single roller zo6 chain, melling high pressure oil pump. will this work? is there anything else i will need, i dont think this comes with pushrods.(edited it does have TSP Hardened Pushrods)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

IMO do not use factory springs. You should do pushrods. You can get a cheaper LS2 chain. You will need a tune. Thats it!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

if you already have LS6 heads then you will be happy with something like a 228/228 area cam on a 112 or 114 LSA. Springs, pushrods, ls2 timing chain, rockers (depending on lift of the cam) and possibly an oil pump (most upgrade it since they have the timing cover off anyways). the LS6 heads flow awesome and will compliment a cam very well. Are you doing the work yourself?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM

the work will be done myself. i dont have ls6 heads i have a 2001 camaro ls1.(stock)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

sorry i misread your post, it thought you already had ls6 heads. if youre looking for the sound of a cam on a budget, i will suggest this: get a cam in the 224/224-228/228 range on a 112 lsa. upgrade valve springs and pushrods and keep stock rockers with the trunion mod (do a search). Tune it and go. This will give you the sound, power and budget youre looking for. since you have a 2001, the ls6 intake that came with it will flow just fine for a cam that size. It doesnt take much to get to 350whp in these cars by any means.

head over to LS1howto.com and look at the article for ls1 cam swap (also look at cam and head swap if you still want to upgrade the heads). This will give you an idea of what youre gonna be looking at work wise. texas-speed as well as many other sponsors sell gasket and bolt kits for cam and head swaps.

If you have any other questions I would suggest hitting up the search because most everything you want to know has already been asked and answered on this site.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM

alright thanks madellous. as is said in my first post the search button wasnt working when i made this. every time i would ask something like "what are supporting mods for cams" it would then take out the "what are" and say that i should add "what are" so that i could get better results. thanks for answering my questions.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

honestly a way around that is to use google.. the search here can be funky sometimes but if you type in your search then type ls1tech after it in google then it usually gives you what youre looking for
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM

oh ok. my bad
Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The Torquer V3 .643 intake lift is too much and not ideal to use with stock rocker arms. To do it right, the entire valvetrain should be replaced and upgraded. If your car is to be used as a street car and you want good longevity, there are much better cam choices then the TQV3.
I actually replaced a Torquer V3 in my Corvette a few weeks ago with a custom cam from Bullet Racing cams spec'd by Fast Motorsports. My custom cam is much smoother, keeps better valvetrain stability at high rpm's, has less aggressive lobes, will increase the life of the valvetrain, has less duration, less intake lift, has better street manners and made more torque & power then the Torquer V3 cam.

And Trick Flow 215's are an awesome set of heads by the way.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Not to hijack, but did you lose any power cowboy? I've been recommended by many to go with the TrqV3 for my street/weekend warrior set up. I'm also goin with ported 243's.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM

ok so i was told not to use stock ls6 valve spring so the precision race stage 1 cam and head package offers "comp cams 918 .600"lift beehive valve springs" will this work with the texas speed 228r cams? also it asks what push rod lengths i want? what size should i get?

Quick Reply: torquer v3 cam