Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!

Well I'm really enjoying my Cutlass w/LSx power, but I have a problem w/my impala tank. I bought the tank w/o a sending unit, and got the sending unit off a member of the impala forum. Used the racetronix kit to power my fuel.

Well my first filling up of the tank had gas come out of the top of the tank at the sending unit. Unfortunately I had not included the O-ring. So I order the o-ring AC Delco G19 and install it. Still have a fuel smell; go ahead and fill it up again and gas leaks out the top again! I don't really know what I could have done wrong. Look at the pics and see if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. This is really bugging me. When I did pull the sending unit out, the G19 o-ring now seems a bit bigger than the round circle it fits in. I tightened it all back up and criss crossed the nuts down as tight as they would go, but still have fumes, and undoubtedly if I filled it up it would still leak.

thoughts? thx!!!
Attached Thumbnails Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!-dsc01095.jpg   Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!-dsc01096.jpg   Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!-dsc01097.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't really see or say I see anything wrong.. just a few things to look at or consider..:

- Is any of the metal parts bent ?..
- Is there fuel leaking on the top of the sending unit.. I think the out/feed tube ?
- Also, I don't think you should be overtighting the unit down. Check for the correct torque specs on tighting. The O-ring could have been pushed out if over tighten.

BC
Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't see where the fuel comes out, but not the top ring. At that point I've been shutting down the fuel dispensor. I don't see anything bent. Could the fuel smell be from the vent line as well? Anybody else have fuel leak or fume issues w/the impala tank?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about checking the vent / overfill tube that goes from the top of the tank to the top of the Filler neck (just behind the gas cap) .. is the hose secure or leaking ?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you installing the o-ring dry? If so it might not be seating square. Try a light lubricant like WD 40. I have encountered the same issue in other fuel pump replacements and a bit of lube helped. I also had a bit of a smell, attributed it to the vent plumbing. I have all of the vents(sender and filler) tied together. When I get a chance I will add a check valve and filter, that should solve the aroma.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I cant remember exactly what mine was like. But are you installing the O ring on top of the sender? I was thinking mine had an O ring between the sender and tank.
Also, there are 2 vents on top of the tank. the rear large one should connect to the filler neck. The vent that's part of the sender should have a anti-overflow valve that blocks fuel from coming out. It may not be working. I connected that vent to the vapor tank on my 72 442.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem #1 the tabs on the fuel pump sending unit go THROUGH the slots on the ring. Bend the tabs back and line everything up as it should be.

Problem #2 the Tank only uses one O-Ring. Last time I R&R'd my tank in April, it only had one o-ring as it has all the other times. I think it was on top of the sender (don't quote me). I'll have to rack my brain to verify.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garys 68
I cant remember exactly what mine was like. But are you installing the O ring on top of the sender? I was thinking mine had an O ring between the sender and tank.
Also, there are 2 vents on top of the tank. the rear large one should connect to the filler neck. The vent that's part of the sender should have a anti-overflow valve that blocks fuel from coming out. It may not be working. I connected that vent to the vapor tank on my 72 442.
The only thing I can add is I see gas around the base of the sending unit on the tank after driving, more on the side toward the front of the vehicle but some on the back. I don't see any gas around the main vent line, so I don't think that is the prob. I don't know how one would tell if its the 2nd vent line out of the unit. I think its likely I screwed up the oring install; after I checked it out from leaking from initial install, the ring seemed bigger than the circle it fits in. maybe it wasn't flush on the install and when I tightened it down it stretched? Anyway I ordered another oring last nite; when it comes in I'll install it w/perhaps a bit of oil like oldgoat69 suggests to keep it securely in its mounting location. Cross my fingers....
Old 09-13-2012, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually now that I think about it, mine didn't have an o-ring on top of the sending unit, only the one under it. Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Put it together, and use some soapy spray and a low psi air source????
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Use a gas resistant silicone sold at any parts store around the base and under / top of the o-ring than put it together, that will stop it.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Just checking, cant tell from the pic. Do you have an O ring between the sender and tank, under the sender?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garys 68
Just checking, cant tell from the pic. Do you have an O ring between the sender and tank, under the sender?
Yes, that is the AC Delco G19; there also is a thinner rubber ring in between the fuel sending unit and the metal ring that tightens things down.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tramminc
Use a gas resistant silicone sold at any parts store around the base and under / top of the o-ring than put it together, that will stop it.
Didn't know they made silicone of that type; I'll stop by tomorrow and get some. Then I could be driving sooner!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Didn't know they made silicone of that type; I'll stop by tomorrow and get some. Then I could be driving sooner!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I did a bit more research and apparently there is an RTV that works w/gas (dow corning 730), but its about $80 for a tube! I was thinking of trying in the short term some anaerobic RTV that is used to seal transmission cases, but looking at my oring, it is the problem--don't think rtv will help. It wasn't larger when I put it on the first time. I don't know how but it is much larger than the ring hole it is supposed to sit in; I suspect I must have not had it seated properly when I tightened it down originally. Unfortunately my new oring is several days away (shipped from Amazon). So I'll wait till I get it.
Attached Thumbnails Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!-oring-gas-tank-.jpg   Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!-gas-tank-o-ring.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to get the oring from a NAPA or Carquest store almost on the spot. I just walked in and it was on the shelf.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubber tends to expand if it soaks in gas and has room to grow, ie. if it isn't seated properly and has room to pop out of its groove. Take an old oring and hit it with brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner and it will never fit back into the place it was supposed to go. I rebuilt an ATV carb one time, the float was sticking, when I tore it back apart the rubber seal that went in the float bowl to seal it to the carb body got gas on it, had to buy a new seal, the thing grew to almost twice it's size.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

O-ring is too big, doesnt even seat completely

Most GM pump kits come with 2 O-rings, one big, one little. Get the smaller one and try again
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Is it just me, or is there an o-ring sitting on top of that assembly that is the correct size?

Quick Reply: Calling A-bodies w/Impala tank, help me solve my leak!